Breaking In an Engine?

Well chaps the running in process is almost done 60mile to go:thumbsup: 10 litres of running in oil used and 3 oil filters later,:laugh: Mobil 1 extended life in the post the bike pulls well and the jetting is getting there. done almost 500 miles keeping it aroung 3k to 4.5k RPM with no issues.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hi all :D runnig in process done:thumbsup: Pilot jets arrived today so 42.5 pilot out 35 pilot in...new blanking rubbers also:wink2: Mobil1 extended life 10/60 in new oil filter ... Valve clearances check timing chain check timing 15 degrees BTDC on a snapon timing gun Check :thumbsup: did not start first go:doh: it needed choke:yikes:Thats great as it never needed choke before means the mix is about right :D :thumbsup::thumbsup: mixure screw out 1.5 turns Idle set 1200 RPM ...... :thumbsup::thumbsup: Ready to Rock and Roll...
I may have to adjust the needle Valve to a richer setting as its 2 notches dow from top but i will take it for a run tomorrow and see hopfully all will be fine:thumbsup:I have pilot jets 37.5 and 30 if i need to go up or down a little.
All the best Funky

sounds like you're almost there well done.:thumbsup:

sounds like you're almost there well done.:thumbsup:

Hi all I think i have done it I changed the old pilot jets to 35 from a 42.5 but had popping and back fire on deceleration, I look at the plug and it seemed to be too lean , so adjusted the needle jet to the third notch from the second notch from the top, which is where the origina postition was I then richend the mixture screws 3.5 turns out and this is the result
IMAG1582_zpsvsa9egkm.jpg

The bike runs well on the fully synthetic Mobil1 good gear change I am happy with it.
All the best funky

still looks like it might be a little lean but its difficult to tell with those plugs.:wink2: Its tons better than when you started though !

You sure need some new plugs :thumbsup: or at least file the ends of the ground electrodes flat so that there is a nice sharp edge for the HT spark to jump to from the centre electrode.

Last edited:
heres my plugs from yesterday.

The left cylinder is running too lean .The right cylinder has a nice light biscuit colour but is still a bit leaner than I'd like it. I prefer to run at a medium biscuit colour like a digestive biscuit:laugh:

I'm changing my 1.40 main jets back to the 1.45 jets which should return the mix back to where it needs to be for this engine (21670 miles)

Attachments

• XS650 PLUG COLOUR 12 09 15.JPG
    XS650 PLUG COLOUR 12 09 15.JPG
    127.3 KB · Views: 123
Back