Butt pucker time

If that's CG I hope whoever did it does the next Transformers flick or maybe even Spiderman.

The front wheel looks stationary because of the frame rate, right at the end of the first vid you can see the front wheel 'wind down' and also the front brake hose bounces up and down as it should if the suspension is compressing and extending.

Don't like the mountaintop? Try this one, then. The 'obstacle' at :37 is great. :laugh:

Don't know if it's artificial or not, but the perspective is through a fish-eye lens, which has the effect of making the ridges he's on look steeper than they really are.

If it were CG it would be some of the best work out there, Again IF it were it would cost way more money to do just to have some youtube video put up. The wheel does move if you watch it closely. at times it appears to be still but as 1974 mentioned the frame rate makes it look stationary

Great vid!
Its not CG, the camera gives the illusion wheel is 'frozen' same as this choppers rotors

Great vid!
Its not CG, the camera gives the illusion wheel is 'frozen' same as this choppers rotors

Maybe not CG (I don't know enough to argue) but howcum the helmet NEVER MOVES and is in EXACTLY the same position in other videos by the same person?

It's been tweaked somehow, I'd bet my next paycheck on it.

mmm..I see what you mean about the helmet not moving,Id been too busy looking at the trail..Strange one , the shadows & reflections on the lid seem right but as you say it almost just seems too stable...

Last edited:
If the camera was mounted to the helment the helmet would never move.

If he rubber mounted the cameras so they'd wiggle a little bit it would look more natural.

Horse manure.

If you're riding a trail that rough at any speed at all, the camera mount is going to jiggle and the helmet is going to move around in relation to the camera.

I don't think your average youtoob poster can afford steadi-cam technology.

Not that it matters one way or the other, them that wish to believe will, and them who's bullshit meter is smoking aren't going to change their mind either.

^ Ha ha! I'm tellin you, there are lots of videos on youtube that give that effect. The camera mount is apparently that rigid.

Same effect with the rear shot in the first video where the camera is mounted to the back of the bike - the bike doesn't seem to move at all.

Myth Busters films a lot of footage with $249.00 GoPros. If you look in the background of a lot of their 'talking head' shots you'll see GoPros all over the place. That footage winds up on TV and you won't see any wiggle.

I have 16 hours of in car from our last LeMons race which has no wiggle, not even when one of our drivers was clipped from behind and spun at about 65-70 MPH, sending him off into the weeds. And that's with a ~$400 camera. One of my personal vids:
The original is much higher resolution, YouTube downgrades them over time. BTW, that camera setup was a ~$1k MotoCam rig which I bought in, IIRC, 2006. All my current YouTubes were shot with that MotoCam. I've retired it in favor of a cheaper Race Optics setup with better resolution but I haven't edited any vids from the new setup yet.

Lots of the YouTube LeMons videos are shot with those ~$100 Kodak etc digital cameras, a few have even been done with iPhones or similar.

I see real nice steady footage with those cheapie 'Flip' cameras too. Here's an example:
This guy paid, IIRC, $129 for a Flip and made his own mount. You can see the camera's reflection in the mirror. (Side note: the stuff he posts looks like so much fun that it makes me want to sell all my crap and use the $ to build a Midget or MGB vintage racer.)

Cameras are so light now that making a rigid mount is simple. If a camera is helmet mounted, the helmet weighs much more meaning that it and the camera will move together, making it look like a megabux steadi cam rig.

Now, my old VHS-C camcorder shook like a dog shitting peach pits even with a $175.00 i/o port vibration isolation mount. :laugh:

It;s obviously mounted to his helmet or goggles. Why are you guys so skeptical? At the very end of the video when he looks back and forth the camera pans the same way. The same effect happens in many movies using a chest mount and the camera faces the actor.

Test it out yourselves. Hold you cell phone camera or other tight to your head and walk around your house for a few min, jump up and down etc. It'll look basically the same.

Fact is even if the camera is fastened to his helmet with no shake you just can not ride something like that and keep your head smooth in relation to the bike movment, its a rigged vidio pure and simple

His head is not smooth, it just appears that way because its the cameras point of origin. It's the opposite of shooting a regular video. The background line will jump but the helmet seems stationary because the camera is mounted tightly to it. It's a simple principle if you think about it. The only "effect" there is, as someone mentioned,is the fish eye lens makes it look steeper than it is.

EDIT: In Lock stock and two smoking barrels (great movie BTW) here is a scene where the same idea applies. Now we know he is walking but because this is a bodymount camera his body doesn't appear to be moving much at all. yet the background jumps with his steps.

Effect starts around 4:31

Also here is a ad video for the Gopro hero. What are all these people up to something???

Back