Cam chain sticking out

Its damn near impossible because it stops directly before the T mark, and I have to slam the wrench down to get past it, which sends it past the T mark.

I checked the tank, empty. Combination of both? Both plugs out. However, I did not have the flywheel almost to the T mark which I took the photo of the advanced pin. Should I have?

Yeah seems pretty off.

Attachments

• IMG_20140622_203608.jpg
    IMG_20140622_203608.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 86
At minumum, you are looking at new valves, getting seats recut to match new valves, and maybe pistons with a bore job...maybe stock size with a hone if you are lucky. if the valves did any damage to them....then gaskets, stem seals etc.

Well, great.

After researching a bit I believe I can get the engine out and head off. Any tips/links of what you mentioned above and maybe rough price

Well, my bores were 200 to get bored 2nd over. Then you can price valves, stem seals, head gasket...probably smart to lift bores off while you are there and do front cam chain guide and new chain, base gasket. Not sure what valve seats cost to get recut, but id imagine 200 or so again.

If, you wanna stay cheap and the piston crowns look okay, try not to lif tthe bores and keep the base gasket in place...it might not be to much. But...cam chain guides are one of those....you really should do it while you are in there things. It could fail next week, and ypud have to open it all up again. Any aluminum or plastic in your oil filters means the front guide is already toast. You can price stuff at mikes to see.

Sigh. Pretty over my head and almost not worth it in costs since I bought it for 800. Looks like I'll be pretty st least 600 into fixing it. No clue what half the things are that'll need to be done to the engine.

I appreciate the help!

Looking on mikes xs, instead of getting the bores bored over and the valve seats cut, could I replace them with a bigger size?

Well, the boring is worst case. The pistons might be fine. So it could just need new valves, head gasket, and seats recut, valve stem seals. How many miles on it?

Your only options if the pistons are buggered is, first over pistons, rings, bore and base gasket.

The valves are bent. You need 4 new ones, and the seats cut to them. Thats it. Maybe valve guides if they are worn. Or, you find used head that good...or another engine. There is no super cheap fix for this.

Roughly 13,000 miles on it. I'll take the head off and see what damage is has that I can tell, and look for further help at that point.

Back