cam chain tensioner

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Was going to adjust the cam chain tensioner on my newl bike, but misread the clymer manual. Instead of unmounting the cam chain tensioner cap, I unmounted the whole cam chain body assembly and withdraw the whole cam chain tensioner before realizing my mistake... :doh:

Before refitting it, I just wanted to make sure I don't have to check or be careful with something? Should it be refitted in a special way, from a special angle or something, before tighten the screws?

/Martin

And I did! Workes great. Had to be careful with the gasket, though, since there was some pressure on the unit pushing it back out.

According to clymer one should rotate the engine counter clockwise from left side until I don't have any slack before adjusting the cam chain tensioner. What is counter clockwise regarding the engine? Does this mean that I should rotate the wheel backwards with a gear engaged? And secure the position when I feel resistance? I have the bike on the center stand.

/M

Remove the round cover on the left side. It has Yamaha on it, two screws. Under that cover you will see a 17 mm nut. This nut holds the rotor on the end off the crank shaft. Use a wrench or a socket and breaker bar to turn the engine over. As you look at this nut, it turns counter clockwise while the engine is running. Turning the engine ccw Pulls the cam chain tight on the front of the engine and puts all the slack on the rear, where the tensioner is.
Now with all the slack in the right place you remove the outer cover, loosen the inner lock nut, turn the big screw with a ten mm nut in or out till the inner plunger rod just comes flush with the end of the nut. Tighten the lock nut, put the other stuff back on.
If you turn the engine over with the cover off, you will see the plunger rod move in and out a bit, 1-2 mm or so, it may even pop out a bit once every revolution. This happens as the cam lobes go past the high ponts and the valve springs push the cam around faster then the rest of the engine. It only happens when turning the engine by hand. When it's running things happen to fast for that to happen.
When someone or the book refers to the bike. Left and right apply as when you are setting on the bike as if riding. CCW and CW apply to that nut. When looking at the bike from the left side evey thing you see that turns, turns CCW.

Last edited:
Okej, so the vent tube goes right down through the left hand cover and ends over the chain. If I want to check it, is it just to pull it upp through the hole and remove it from the engine?

Yes, thats how you check the hose.
On mine I cut the hose off about 1 1/2 inches long. Plugged this short hose back on, put a Brake booster check valve in the hose. One end fits the hose and the other is 3/8 inch. I then ran a 3/8 hose down and out by the swing arm on the right side.

Back