Cam chain tensioner

I'd just buy a new one for $38.
The reason you have metal all over the magnet and plastic in the sump screen is that there is something wrong. JB welding the screen is not going to fix the bad cam chain guide and whatever else is losing metal. Could just be the starter gear or it could be something more serious. JB Weld can also break off and go through the oiling systems which can fuck the engine up for good. I would seriously suggest figuring it out before you destroy the engine and the bike becomes a garage ornament.

Could not find where anything hit sump filter. Had the same debris in other filter. Ordered new filter as soon as I pulled old one out last night. Got under bike this morning and looked up in motor. Seen nothing that caught my eye. Everything looking to be in good condition. From what I could tell from there.

I'm thinking that filter was just never, or very seldom, cleaned. That's much more build-up than a couple thousand miles would give you. But that's somewhat common on these. Many were owned by new riders who had no clue about proper bike maintenance, let alone how to do it. The oil may have been changed (very) occasionally but the filters cleaned? What's that? lol.

Could not find where anything hit sump filter. Had the same debris in other filter. Ordered new filter as soon as I pulled old one out last night. Got under bike this morning and looked up in motor. Seen nothing that caught my eye. Everything looking to be in good condition. From what I could tell from there.

That's good in some respects, so what happened to the spring?

Also there are two magnetic sump drain plugs you did remove both?

Lol, that the kinda guy that I bought it from. It stopped running five years ago and he just parked it in the shed. I got the bike for $1000 and have almost replaced every wire and most external parts in the last two months.

Yes I have both out and they had the same build up as the magnets on the sump filter

How deep in the motor do I have to go to get my eyes/hands on the cam chain guides ?

To do it right, you want to remove the cylinder block too. The front guide sticks out the top and hangs out the bottom of the block. It mounts with 2 bolts. There is play in the mounting holes so it's possible to mount it crooked, not perfectly vertical as it should be to follow the chain. With the block off, you can measure off the sides of the guide to the sides of the tunnel it runs through, at both the top and the bottom, and insure it is perfectly straight.

But, what you found is kinda normal. The guide has a lip of rubber running down both sides and that breaks off first, sometimes quite early in the guide's life. It doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the guide has gone to shit yet.

On your sump filter, that looks like it was just not cleaned often. The torn out section of brass screen looks pretty normal too.
Clean that filter very well, cut a patch to cover missing screen. "glue" patch in place with JB weld, the regular kind, not the fast setting kind. Once dry add a bit more JB Weld around edge of patch to ensure a seal.
If you properly clean the filter and patch the JB Weld won't come loose. It bonds the clean metal like nobodies business.
Leo

Back