Cam chain tensioner

OK , because I had it out because I found no spring on it. During the time waiting on spring to come from Mike's, my clip came in for my starter gear. Upon completion of clip I forgot tensioner was out. I spun motor over with kick start and herd something in motor. Might have maybe been old broken tensioner spring I'm guessing getting caught up in cam chain and gear. So I reinstalled tensioner without spring and motor is spinning over with kick start without noise now. What do you think ??

Yes sir , that's what I'll do tomorrow. Might be a stupid question but, where is the sump pan location ? Figured I'd at least show my scoot I'm almost done with
Screenshot_20170228-161135.png

One of the drain plugs screws into the sump plate, can't miss it. If you pull the sump plate be careful with those little bolts.
Three quarts will cover refilling, pour in two and then check the oil level on the dipstick to bring the level up to between the two lines on the dipstick, you wont use the full three quarts. Rest the threaded plastic section of the dipstick on the engine case to get your between the lines measure.
If you think there was a chunk of metal in there then by all means try to find it. There are magnets on both drain plugs that can catch debris, there's also a small magnet on the sump filter that can catch debris, like little cam chain master link side plates.....lol. Sometimes just draining the oil will expel a foreign object. Your call on how far you want to ease yer worries. Good luck!

Lol , not funny . I'm going as far as it takes. Got three months in this build ( first build by the way) and don't want to fall back down the ladder. Thank u for ur knowledge sir. I will let u know the outcome.

Just lined up a 96 Harley Davidson EVO Softail that was in a barn fire with clear title. Looking for a 1200cc as we speak lol

Nothing on either plugs but normal wear and tear. Ur opinion, to pull sump pan or not ?? What would u do ??

You can get a new one from Mike's Xs.
That's some build up on your magnet.
I'd go through the sump and look for more metal and plastic bits.

Your sump filter looks to have mechanical damage, as in, something got caught up in the crank and whipped the shit out of it. I would pull the sump plate and using a small mirroe, look up in there and find the mother fucker that did that. If you dont, it could happen again.

That looks like pieces of the front cam chain guide. Typical.
You may want to look into replacing that. I've seen where the plastic sides of the guide come off but leaves the center still intact. Check Mikesxs for front cam chain guide to get a picture of what it looks like.
Considering what your sump filter looks like they're both original. To replace the front guide properly you'll have to yank the engine. There's a couple of things to watch for if you decide to go that route......and we're here to help if you do.

IMG_1500.JPG

Actually, since you have no upper engine mount or frame, you can probably do it with the engine still installed.

Last edited:
I cannot see how you would loose part of the old broken tensioner spring, you would have to yank the engine to get at the tensioner side. Like angus said, flush the guts out of it, look with a mirror, what bits have you got left...please post picture....
To loose the spring you would have lost the rod (19 below) cannot see that happening either as it doesn't go in that far to "loose it" are there any marks on the stuffed filter at all, like new and fresh marks? Oil is 2.5 litres volume, looks like it needed a change, there is another filter too (R) hand side, it will need a clean...

Cheers Mick

IMG_0918.PNG

OK guys , so I've seen alot of posts on repairing the sump filter with JB weld. My question is, what material do u use behind the JB weld on the filter ?

Back