Cam Shaft/Advance Rod Breaker Shaft(?)

rem61

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello xs650 Community,

I have searched high and low for answers about the needle bearings that go inside the cam shaft, in which the Advance Rod Breaker Shaft goes through (terminology?). It appears later models may not need these? OEM Yamaha diagrams don’t show these, conspiracy? I’m about ready to install Hugh’s CDI system (yes, it cost more than the donor bike but what the wife doesn’t know won’t hurt her, “and yes honey, once I’m done I’ll be able to sell the motorcycle for 20K and put the kids through college”). Anyway, can anyone share their knowledge here? Do I need the 4 needle bearings, two on each end on my 1980 build? Do I even need the rod at all if running the CDI system? Pardon my ignorance as my real talents are cat juggling and snipe hunting. Your fan, Robert

I Googled Hugh's CDI system and it says it's crank driven? If that's the case then you don't need an advance rod and that means no need to install any bushings or bearings in the cam for it.

Correct on the crank driven 5twins. I thought maybe you needed the rod still but it sounds like you don’t. Thank you!

You only need the rod if the ignition is cam driven, like the old points set-up, a Pamco, or a Boyer (amongst others).

Back