Can I use JB weld to patch holes on top of gas tank?

C-Los SD

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to use a monza style gas cap on a 750 tank and had to drill out the spot welds that held on the old cap bracket. Can I use JB weld to patch or will the gas eventually eat it away? I know brazing is probably the best option, but I don't have the gear or the know how to do it.

Thanks

tank1.jpg

tank2.jpg

I've seen it done before to pinholes on the bottom of the tank, held after years, still works. I've done it before with the 2 part epoxy that comes in a tube of putty; easier to apply. Of course the best would be to weld it =[.

I wouldn't use JB weld on a gas tank. Course I wouldn't use JB weld on, well...pretty much anything...maybe a kitchen lamp or something, but never on a motorcycle. Seriously though, find someone to weld it up for you. Probably cost you a 12 pack.

I've seen a few "JBwelded" gas tanks hold up for quite some time...not recommended but if its all ya got...

I'd clip a couple small pieces of metal tho and glue them in with the JB from the inside to give some backing on those holes. I wouldn't do it...have access to the right way...

Let us know how it works out:wink2:

I've seen a few "JBwelded" gas tanks hold up for quite some time...not recommended but if its all ya got...

I'd clip a couple small pieces of metal tho and glue them in with the JB from the inside to give some backing on those holes. I wouldn't do it...have access to the right way...

Let us know how it works out:wink2:

Yeah, being that close to the opening it would be easy to give it some backing.
That repair would hardly ever be in contact with the gas in that location. I'm running a standard, dual petcock tank, using only the left opening. The other petcock opening is blanked off with the base of an old petcock- holes filled with JB....just let it set up good.

If it was flat where the holes are, I'd probably put a screw in with washers, with a faucet washer or piece of inner tube under the washer inside.

I was kinda thinking the same thing...

Just get 2 nice looking bolts/allen heads & run a washer on the inside as a seal..

CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP !!!

If you need a way to fix it without welding . . use Seal-All to seal the holes with whatever means you decide to use. Seal -All will hold up to the gas indefinitely. It is cheap ( $4) and should be in everyone's toolbox. It can be used as a heavy duty adhesion as well, its very strong.

Looks like you are going to a lot of work and effort to do a nice set up. my vote get it brazed or welded you will be "happier" and more secure in the long haul. Are you using the 750 tank on your XS650? How are you doing the front mounts?

If you do go the J.B. Weld route rough the area up for good adhesion and clean with chemical. Next add some type of fiber to the J.B. Weld. Ground fiber glass is best and can be purchased at aircraft supply store or cotton ball fiber will work. This will give the repair substance for the hole repair. Tony C

If it was flat where the holes are, I'd probably put a screw in with washers, with a faucet washer or piece of inner tube under the washer inside.
Try putting some gasoline on a faucet washer or inner tube for week or so! C'mon, you're building a motorcycle, you must know SOMEBODY that can weld that up. Stop with the backyard repairs on a fuel tank. Fix it right , forget about it, and have no worries. I think it was Gentlemanjim who had fuel get under his new paint? You don't want that, right? As well as the obvious safety aspects. My 2 cents anyway.

You'd be surprised what those materials can stand up to. If I was going to make a slick tank to paint, I'd find somebody to weld it. I was using it on a bike to ride, I'd simply use screws. The rubber probably isn't necessary really. The metal washers would seal if it was tight.

Looks like you are going to a lot of work and effort to do a nice set up. my vote get it brazed or welded you will be "happier" and more secure in the long haul. Are you using the 750 tank on your XS650? How are you doing the front mounts?

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to get it brazed/welded and not worry about it.
Gary, the 750 tank is for my 650. Making a cafe racer out it. I cut off the mounting ears on the frame and going to bolt the tank rubbers to the frame and use the stock rear mounting bolt.

mock-up.jpg

Back