Carb issue

oms1981

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I went to start up my bike (1982) the other day for the first time this year. It has been in the garage over winter. I got it running but quickly noticed a problem.

Now before I get into this, I would just like to begin by saying that I am a pretty crappy mechanic. My knowledge is quite basic, so if you have any info to offer please keep it at idiot level:shrug:

I rolled her out of the garage, choked it, gave it some throttle and it started pretty easily after a few kicks. I had to keep the throttle opened up a little bit or it would starve and cut out. But I was happy, I got it started with minimal effort. Then I smelled the gas...

I noticed that fuel was leaking below the bike, pretty bad. So I pulled the side covers off and I saw that fuel was leaking pretty quickly out of the left side air box; like instead of going in the carb its just bleeding out all over the side. I didn't have time to mess around with it but my immediate first thought was that the carb is just gunked up from sitting. maybe the float is stuck or something. I have also noticed that if I turn the petcock to the "prime" position the fuel starts flowing out from the same spot, even when it isn't running.

Now the problem that I have is that it is in a friends garage and he wants it out asap. but it clearly isn't safe to ride as is. I'm hoping that someone who isn't a mechanical bonehead like myself will have some advice. Like I said I had literally zero time to work on it. But my plan currently was just to spray some carb cleaner in there, knock on the float bowl and see if I can loosen it up.

Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate it a ton:thumbsup:

do you think some carb cleaner would losen that float up? at least to stop the overflow so I can move it. my buddy is really on me to get it out of his garage and I don't have a lot of time to rip a carb apart over there. not terribly concerned about the idle at the moment, i just need to be able to move it without worrying about burning up

I doubt carb cleaner will do the trick it might but you can turn the petcocks off open up the float bowls(drain plug on bottom of carbs and drain the gas from the line and the carbs,it will take you 5 minutes.Get it home remove the carbs open your manual and check out the carb chapter.

Back