CDI / PMA Capacitor Question

Looks like I found my issue. I ran a bench test on the stator and my readings are out of range. Below are the test results next to the factory standards supplied with the stator unit. I guess I need to email Hugh. :(

Stator readings:
Source coil: green to red - Tested = 12.8 ohms / Should Read = 22ohms
Charging coil: yellow to yellow - Tested = .4 ohms / Should Read = .7 - 1.0 ohms

Pickup coil:
White/green to white/red: Tested = 126.7 ohms / Should Read = 115 ohms

Resistance readings can be inconclusive. I suspect Hugh will want to know what the AC output between the yellow wires is.......

I reached out to Hugh and I believe we have found our issue. The regulator is a Harley Davidson regulator and apparently they made an update without notifying vendors. The update was internal where a 'no battery' trigger was added. Meaning if there is no battery the regulator does not turn on. If I place a battery, any type, in line the system works perfectly. I can even remove the battery when running and the system works great unless voltage drops. Not the ideal answer I was hoping for but it is nice to have closure and know that I am not going insane.

Thanks everyone for your support.

Surely, a small battery is not any more bother than a capacitor? FWOW, my opinion is that capacitors is a "solution" from the 70s/80s.

Back