Celebrate my win! Shout out to UNI filters.

bpupeza

I like motorcycles
Reaction score
I have a 1973 TX650 that I got as a basket case. I have done a lot of work to get this thing road worthy but I could never get it to run quite right. Its the little details that count.

I recently noticed that the mufflers that the po had on there only had a 1" diameter opening. I cant afford new ones so I drilled 8 holes in the end of each muffler. It ran much better but still had some problems in the upper rpm range.

I read on here that the mikes xs K&N look alikes I had may not be the best. I ordered up some UNI foam filters. I got them yesterday. I oiled them up and put them on.

I went out for a test ride today and the bike is a new machine! It runs awesome and has great power throughout the entire rpm range.

So much fiddling and trouble shooting for no reason.

Today is a good day.:bike:

That's a reasonable theory and I wouldn't rule it out. I did oil the other pods with k&n oil though. Only time will tell. I will post back on this some time but the Minnesota riding season is about to turn into sledding season.

The general conciseness about running K&N filers or there knock off's, or pod filters is the air is disturbed and the uneven flow dosn't work well with CV carbs. Not having an even flow of air disrupts the slide action causing dead spots and missing

That's the main trouble spot with K&N type pods, the upper midrange to main transition area. I had the best, the real genuine K&Ns, and they were still troublesome. The cheapo replicas are no doubt even worse. When you oil your UNIs, don't use the special foam filter oil, it's too thick and will clog them. Use a simple 50-50 mix of gas and motor oil. Here's the details .....

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-us/Black foam road bike pods.pdf

Back