Change of cam seal, points side

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi

My seal at the cam on the points side is leaking. Can I just put in two screws and pull the old one out?

And what are the dimensions of it? S-25-40-6 milimeters?

don't know the dimensions, but ya just yank your points, unscrew the cover and remove the seal. you're gonna have to beat the hell out of the seal with a punch to get it out. once you reinstall the cover, tap around the seal with a punch to completely seat it.

hi guys ,,,i just did my seal on the points side of cam under the points plate if you bend a decent bit of st/st wire or something like that with a hook on the end about 1/4" at the most it should flick out my seal was 33 years old .. no wonder it started to leak and its cheap to do they are a standard size seal .. regards oldbiker

I press them out with the right sized socket and a block of wood to pad the outside of the housing in a vice. Place the socket on the backside and press the old seal into (and out of) the housing. Install is similar, using a block of wood on the inside (instead of the socket) to press the new seal in from the rear. No need for hammers and punches, this isn't a Harley Davidson after all, lol.

When the housing is removed, buff the exposed end of the cam where the seal rides with a green Scotchbrite pad. This will clean all the rust and dirt off, smooth the surface, and give a nice clean area for the new seal to work on. This alone can sometimes cure a leaking old seal if that leak was not too bad.

Back