Charging Problems - Voltage Regulator

xsalex

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi there i have a problem on my xs 650sh 4m4 i had an electrical charging problem,but curly,s posts helped me out cheers .i now have a intermitant ignition problem when i start up the engine i strugles to rev up,but after3000 rpm it revs freely.if i disconect the voltage regulator it runs sweet from ticover to full revs.please help.ps i have fitted a new voltage regulator and it is still the same.

The TCI ignition will not run well if the voltage is low. Is your charging system working properly? You need to have 13.2 to 13.5 volts at idle and 14.2 to 14.5 at 3500 rpm.

When you pull the regulator you are removing a load and allowing battery voltage to rise.

Another problem area may be the alternator magnetic field interfering with the ignition pick-up coil. When you remove the regulator, the interference ceases. The real cause is the fact that the small magnet imbedded in the alt rotor has become weak over time. Some of the lads have found a small replacement magnet that can be glued over the old one, to re-gain a stronger signal to the pick-up.
Try the "Search" with ................pick-up magnet weak?

I just used the "Search" and found a good thread for you to read. One lad found he needed to replace a Zener diode in his TCI board. The Zener acts to control voltage as TCI's are sensitive to voltage high and low.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4718

Last edited:
Back