Cheapo chain riveter?

Sillywhitekid

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody have any thought's or suggestions on a cheaper chain riveting tool for the drive chain?

I was thinking of maybe a pipe flaring tool as I have seen those for $17 versus $55 for the combination chain breaker/riveter tools online.

I know someone has come up with something; question is if they are willing to share?

Spend some dough and do the job right.Flaring tool won't do it.The right tool has a pin that spreads the prepunched chain link pin apart when pressed locking it in place.Hammering the pin is a bad thing too.The cam link plate can can apart if not done right destroing your motor.

I was just seeing if there were alternatives for the drive chain (motor to the rear wheel sprocket)....there are certain things that i will skimp on but pretty much anything with the engine i would not.

I was just seeing if there were alternatives for the drive chain (motor to the rear wheel sprocket)....there are certain things that i will skimp on but pretty much anything with the engine i would not.

Once you've experienced drive chain failure in operation.....I venture to say you'll add drive chain safety to your list of things to avoid skimping on. Can be a pretty nasty and catastrophic mess!

One old wounded warrior voice says...."Do it right the first time!" Please, Blue

- :agree: broken chains break other things - badly...do it right, do it once...a lesson i also have learnt the hard way

thanks for the advice guys...maybe i will see if there is someone close that wouldn't mind me borrowing it for a minute until i can get one of my own.

Are you just trying to remove links?

The chain I recently bought was a bit long so I took an old angle grinder I had lying around.

(looks like this, just older)

grga9020kd.jpg

I used it to cut off the top of the pin on the link I wanted removed. I then took a hammer and an old screwdriver and pounded the little bastard out. Took awhile with some blood, sweat, and tears but it worked.

I followed this guys strategy. Seemed to work out alright.

chain already shortened, just needing to reattach chain together. I will look into a compatible master link.

- i carry a clip link in my tool kit for emergencies-never needed one myself but have donated to others ... these days i always rivet the chain-i feel safer

I've always used a clip type master link. Much easier to get the rear wheel off the bike to change a tyre. Make sure you get it in the correct direction, A fish swims head first.

Tom Graham

If done right you don't need to break the chain to remove the rear wheel.
After you pull the axle, roll the tire forward, slip the chain off the sprocket. Roll the tire back and out.

Back