Check list before first start!

apox

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a 1980 xs650 with 77 motor in it, pamco ignition on it's way and I'm gonna clean the carbs. I want to know if I'm missing anything to check before starting it up, because it's sat for a while and the PO said "had it running in the summer" one of those classic lines. I've checked Cam pin, valve clearance so far. I'm thinking just engine checks here, nothing else. Wiring harness will be built from scratch.

What else engine wise should I check before firing it up.

Thanks.

I would drain the oil, pull both filters out and clean them well, repair the sump screen if necessary, and before you try to actually fire it, pull the plugs and crank it over a few times to get the oil flowing through the engine.

Good luck,

DLD1

Ok I also ordered new brushes but mine were within the limits anyway. Now the Cam chain tension is that the pin nut thing under the carbs? Cuz I did that. Other wise please explain. Is clutch adjustment in the clymer book? Must have missed that. I had to skip a few checks because the bike isnt running.. In the clymer it likes to say stuff like "while idling" well I don't have that luxury yet lol.

Thanks again

There is a thread by INXS in the tech section under "maintenance" called "won't start", something like that. A great post for pre-flight checks.

Back