Checking Compression Of Motor Removed from Bike

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
Is there any easy way of checking the compression with the motor removed from the bike?

I can't seem to spin the crank the correct way using the alternator nut. It always comes loose!

When I try to use the kick starter, it won't budge, or at least not with the amount of pressure I'm using. Too much and I'll topple the engine over.

How check compression of motor removed from frame?

without it bolted to a frame or stand, you'll need to use the electric starter. pull the plugs, hold the carbs wide open and power the starter with a battery

Can I check the compression without carbs on it?

This is a pretty bare engine. Even the ignition stuff has been removed.

Posted via Mobile

I built a makeshift engine stand with some wood, enough to keep it upright.

I tried kicking it over, but the kick starter just won't budge.

I tried putting it in neutrel, but I dont think there is a difference...though I'm not sure I'm even in neutral.

How do I jump the starter? I see one big wire from it...is that the positive lead?

Posted via Mobile

Since you have the engine in a stand, it does not matter if you are in gear or neutral.

Did the kickstarter work before you removed the engine?

To jumper the starter motor; connect a jumper cable from the positive + terminal of the good battery to the large black cable that goes down to the starter motor terminal. Then connect another jumper cable from the battery negative - terminal to some bare metal point on the engine.

This engine was sitting exhaust side down and to the right for the last year or so on a moving dolly.

Oil has obviously been through the right cylinder and running out the exhaust port.

Left cylinder looks dry.

Posted via Mobile

Remove spark plugs & ensure that there is no oil in the right combustion chamber - if there is, it can "hydro-lock" the engine and prevent it from turning over.

Update:

Turned engine in reverse rotation with alternator nut a few times, then rotated it in correct counter clockwise rotation a few times. Seems stiff, but at least now she's turning over.

Next problem: Kick starter still appears to be seized.

Posted via Mobile

Loosened timing chain tensioner, turning over easier now.

Kick starter appears to be jammed.

Posted via Mobile

Back