Choked Carb Lag

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
I started my bike, and it's cold out, and it sounds like it takes a second or two to run up the rpms.
I pull out the choke and kick it, it fires, but runs kinda like at idle before racing up to choke speed. As if it takes a little for the gas to really start flowing. It doesn't spudder or spit, just takes a second to build up.
Normal? It's a stock '81.

When the temps are low, like in the 20's the oil is stiff, it takes a few seconds to get the oil moving. Once the oil gets moving the engine speed picks up. Your car does the same thing but not as noticable because of more hp.
If you have a heat gun you can warm the crank case up some before you start it. A hair drier may work.
One brother in law bought those portable grills made from an aluminum tray. He'd light one let it burn down a bit and slid it under his car to warm it up so it would start better on cold winter morings.
If you have a heated garage or shed to keep it in, then it should start fine.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks Leo. I was hoping is was the cold. I printed out the Carb guide, but I'm still struggling with understanding them. I tackled electric, now to learn carbs.

Back