Clattering Sound in 5th Gear

Yeah, a lot of pitting/spalling on the drive faces of that 5th. Good info.
I'd say that you're our spearhead in the "high-mileage" syndromes....

The new overdrive gear came in today so I checked to see if it will fit. I now have 2 1978 transmissions for parts, the original one from my bike that just failed and another one that failed back in 2007 that came from a parts engine.

The new gear does not fit either one with too small a hole. Two things are noteworthy here, I looked up my records from 2007 when I bought the first OD gear and it is the same part number as the one I just received but they have different sized holes, so yes, Mike's is confused here.

Since I do not yet have the replacement transmission I ordered (should be here tomorrow or Friday) I need to wait until I get it before deciding what to do. When I ordered the gear with the smaller hole I figured it was a safe bet because if it is too small I can always bore it out (I have a lathe).

But, a question has come to mind, will removal of a couple thousandths affect the surface hardness and cause it to wear excessively? I have seen where others have done this but I still question it.

Back