cloth covered plug wire + pamco

bobber bill

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Id really like to use some of this cloth covered spark plug wire on my build, but im not sure if its the right stuff for my pamco ignition. the site states that its not for use with electronic ignitions and the company doesnt have a clear answer for me either. im thinking that i would be ok running this wire and my pamco ignition.

http://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=736

its my understanding that the pamco isnt a "true" electronic ignition, just electronically triggered. so after the coil, i should be able to run this wire as if i would with a regular points system.

does anybody know for sure if this is a good idea or not ? thanks

i don't believe you can run this wire with the pamco high output kit.

i'm under the impression it's because of the lack of shielding on the cloth wires compared to the ones that come with the kit

i was sure i read it some where but can't find it

i agree, bobber bill. i like my wires to be black and hidden from view. i suppose we could spend big money and get the 8.8mm spark plug kits from advance and stuff but what am i going to do with the other six wires when i'm done with it?

bobber bill,

Well, I didn't know that the PAMCO Electronic Ignition System was not a "true" electronic ignition system even though it uses the latest IGBT coil driver transistors and state of the art Hall effect sensors!

Maybe if I made a great big box to hold another $200 worth of unnessary electronic parts and jacked up the price to $267.49 I could call it a "true" electronic system! :laugh:

There are several differences between an electronic ignition system and a points type ignition system, the most notable is that the electronic system generally produces a much higher voltage to the spark plugs, and therefore require a better insulator on the spark plug wires. The higher voltage and the faster rise time of an electronic ignition system also means that they produce a bigger EMF footprint of Radio Frequency Interference and must use either resistor wire, resistor caps or resistor plugs. The use of some resistance is also needed to reduce the potential damage to the driving transistor of electronic ignitions.

Early cloth covered "vintage" spark plug wires were used in the days of very low voltage ignition systems that produced 10 to 20 K volts. Modern electronic systems, including the PAMCO, produce anywhere from 37,000 volts to 80,000 plus volts. That voltage would arc through the old style cloth covered wires anywhere that the wires are close to the frame or engine.

The 75,000 Volts from a "green Monster" coil driven by the PAMCO can jump a 1" gap, so it will drill a hole right through a real cloth covered spark plug wire.

However, as the post above shows, there are some vintage looking wires available now that are a modern jacketed wire suitable for electronic ignitions that have a outer covering that resembles the old style cloth covering.

So, Pete...

Interesting reading. I have been telling folks who ask about my bike that I have converted it from points iggy to electronic, but have been "qualifying" that by explaining that it's an electronic trigger with mechanical/centrifugal advance.

But based on what you're saying, the bike has an unqualified electronic iggy, correct? It's just kind of cool from my perspective because I have also gone to solid state reg/rec, and never thought that a schlubb like me would have been able to get this thing running, let alone "update" it.

I do like the wires on that link. But I'm running the ones that came with your kit. Because of the way my coil is mounted, though, my wires sweep in from the front, so I might cover them with a bit of fuel line where they pass between the frame and tank edge so they don't chafe.

TC

Last edited:
So Pete...

Can you tell me whether or not I can use the wire in that link ? I am using the "ultimate high output" pamco kit from Mikes XS with the black 82Kv coil. I was actually even hoping to hide the coil in a fake oil tank and route my wires through the frame. Is this a recipe for disaster ? thanks for clearing things up

also, the wire isnt shielded

Last edited:
having looked into spark plug wires while tracking down a ignition system ghost signal. besides not being able to handle the stronger sparks, the copper core is what is more likely to cause problems with an electronic ignition (with timing and advance curves built in). The emf generated with be significant, compared to a shielded wire, and can cause feedback into the ignition. if the dielectric strength of the insulation was sufficient it wouldn't be an issue on high-output systems, but this quotes the insulation as pvc, which doesn't usually have as high a dielectric strength as silicone jackets.

also, never use metal braiding over your spark plug wires, while it helps dampen EMI, it basically forms a capacitor and will very quickly break down the insulation's dielectric strength, basically destroying your plug wires.

if you like the look, get some woven (fabric) looming and heat-shrink over the ends. will look just as good without sacrificing longevity or performance.

Back