83 xs650 Startup Frustrations: Advice Appreciated

Tlted_Jelli

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happy Easter Folks

I once again am having issues getting my bike to fire up. Been having nothing but white smoke bursting out of my pod filters and the occasional few putters teasing life. I recently rewired the entire bike and installed an xsxharge ignition system with e-advance (the blue one) (i also have a PMA setup from them) Pics below
IMG_20230409_170835205.jpg
The engine was rebuilt by myself (link to my rebuild: https://www.xs650.com/threads/1983-...amous-whirring-sound.61344/page-5#post-785656 ) pretty much replaced most of it. Valves ball honed, all new seals, filed rings...etc.

so far my plugs look black and wet(pic below)
IMG_20230409_171039211.jpg
cam chain tension is set as near to flush as i can figure (set on cold engine)

I am pretty much as sea level in Southern New Jersey

VM34s with big pods (kit from mikes xs)
main jet:185
Pilot Jet:22.5
Air jet/screw: removed
Needle jet: 159 p-6
middle clip position
needle: 6F9
slide:2.5
idle set: 4 turns out
air mix: 1.5 turns out

temp here is about 65 deg F on average about now

Valves clearances are set
Intake 0.06mm
Exhaust 0.15mm

Compression is right about 135psi on cold engine on both sides.

2.2ohm dual output coil

I did note that i used my old steel advance rod for the xs ignition instead of the aluminum one that came with the kit. would that possibly effect the magnets on the rotor?

I'd like to note that this was my setup while it had been running decently for about a month and is only now having issues (this was with Pamco and mechanical advance that it was running)

I replaced the pamco setup and all the wiring because I had a short somewhere on the ignition circuit between the coil and pamco, as well as one somewhere on my accessories. Tested all individual components and they tested fine.

what do you think is the first thing to try.

I've re-adjusted the valves and cam chain multiple time already. tried advancing and retarding my ignition timing on the blue xs ignition.
tried multiple different idle and air mix turn combinations.

Only thing I haven't tried is changing some of my jetting or cleaning the carbs out again and resyncing them.

Any suggestions...only coming here because im a bit frustrated and at a bit of a loss.

Never seen a good post about that ignition…

Can it be hooked up to fire 180* off (like a mechanical advance can)

What happens if you swap your plug wires?

I Believe Not a carburetor problem .
I would start with ignition timing check possible retard it see if the smoke in the Carburetor changes
if not consistent firing I would look for poor power supply to ignition

I agree with Jan and would first be checking for good battery voltage and same voltage reading at the ignition coil (+) and also verifying real good grounding of the engine cases to ground (battery negative). Then look for good blue spark at a grounded plug, Then timing (if popping in carb maybe too advanced??).

After strong spark verified. (never crank unless both plugs are connected and grounded)
With the spark plugs out, connected to the boots and grounded you should be able to check timing with a strobe light. On a kick only bike you'll need an assistant. I'll vote for wildly off timing.
Yes the XS charge has a reputation................
I've never played with one.

You don't by chance still have the mechanical advance installed on the other side?

A pic of the adapter they use on the other side? In the olden daze, some early Pamco advance replacement/adapters could wear, let the locating pin slip out of the rod and timing would go random.

A pic of the adapter they use on the other side? In the olden daze, some early Pamco advance replacement/adapters could wear, let the locating pin slip out of the rod and timing would go random.
I swear I almost sh*t myself laughing....

You called it @gggGary

Attachments

• IMG_20230409_201150773.jpg
    IMG_20230409_201150773.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 65
So its actually the cam locating pin not the one in the advance rod....

Any tricks for keeping these little pins from flying out?
compare the two "advance rods" any difference in length?
I'm not familiar with the big aluminum adapter seen in your pic can we see it's back side?
I'll guess some lack of or out of order spacers letting the rod move in-out more than it should.
I looked and didn't see an instruction sheet on the web site.
PS you can't put it together "backward", it's lost spark so there's no left or right cylinder setting, both sides fire at every "TDC".

Attachments

• IMG_20230409_211910743_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230409_211910743_HDR~2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20230409_212607277_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230409_212607277_HDR.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20230409_212703584.jpg
    IMG_20230409_212703584.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20230409_212607277_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230409_212607277_HDR.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 52
So its actually the cam locating pin not the one in the advance rod....

Any tricks for keeping these little pins from flying out?
Dont know exactly how i looks I would try with some thread locking chemical not the strongest ones
to begin with Loctite ---Would be surprised if it don't solve it.

Could make a bigger pin ..by a piece of a drill bit shaft suitable diameter

I'll try to find a solution. In the meantime I used threadlocker blue and put a cover of rtv black on it. Hopefully that will hold.
Might just need to replace my cam at some point

I think your adapter has lost the thin cap on that hole my pic is a bit blurry but you can see the hole is "blind" does not go through to the outside of the cylinder.

echarge.jpg
pamco through the years adaptor.jpg
pamco through the years.jpg

I've made replacement pins by cutting/grinding a length off the shank of the appropriate size drill bit.

If the hard steel pin is loose it can worry it's way through the soft aluminum.

Back