STVR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 75 xs 650 and I noticed no spark on the right side
After checking the coil the left was getting 10 volts right side
Was at .10 volts then I noticed the right coil was pretty warm
Is my right coil zorched? I just bought these haven't even ridden
With them on!

points closed on that side providing a path to ground heats up the coil, not unusual but thats why leaving your key on runs down the battery and can burn up a coil unplug points and condensers then check voltage thru the coils (points side) the kill switch sides should be the same as it the same wire (double connector) unless it's dirty

Yeah Ill check on that. I basically took a voltage meter to all the plug ins from condenser
and coils everything seems to be the same. I have spark at the points. Its did a spark plug test and I have spark on the left side but not on the right. Plugs are new and gapped correctly. May be there is a wire that isn't seeded in correctly at the wiring harness to the coils.

Yeah Ill check on that. I basically took a voltage meter to all the plug ins from condenser
and coils everything seems to be the same. I have spark at the points. Its did a spark plug test and I have spark on the left side but not on the right. Plugs are new and gapped correctly. May be there is a wire that isn't seeded in correctly at the wiring harness to the coils.

or greasey/oiled contacts on the points

I cleaned all the points with some emery paper, I think they are pretty clean. I suppose I just need to see where this lack of juice is coming from for the right side coil

Back