Correct gas cap for my ‘76 XS

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Filled up today and on the way back home I had fuel leaking out from under the gas cap. Kept wiping it off and fortunately didn’t damage the paint. Got home an had a look at the cap. The seal looked like it had become enlarged with contact with the fuel. Had a look in my parts bins and found a new cap assembly but the seal was different than the one I removed. Looking at the pics in the XS650DIRECT catalogue I believe the po had the wrong cap seal on the bike. Can anyone tell me which is the correct rubber seal for this year of bike? Right or left. I put the one on the right on the bike.

1DA4AC84-13F9-46B9-8B73-61A280B88C19.jpeg
416EE8A3-5C40-4C32-9BD6-834ABB60E4F3.jpeg

Can someone with a ‘76 snap a quick photo of their gas cap please? If I need to order a replacement I want to do that soon since tiring weather is here. Thx

Can someone with a ‘76 snap a quick photo of their gas cap please? If I need to order a replacement I want to do that soon since tiring weather is here. Thx
try just searching for 1976 yamaha xs650 gas tank seal replacement
I have a 75 and there are 3 rubber seal parts to it but I think the newer bikes have a different setup

View attachment 191491

I think your seal is incorrectly installed.
I'm pretty sure your seal is installed upside down. You have to drill out those three rivets. Note how jetmechmarty's cap has screws instead of rivets. Then, you will replace the rivets with screws.
All of the earlier original caps had screws, and the reproductions, like yours, are poor quality, so you might consider going back to that first cap you had, and putting the rubber on it.

@bosco659, my seal looks like yours pictured on the left. So, to me, yours looks to be installed backwards.
The seal has a large groove in it that fits well onto the springy cap mechanism. I’ll look ok into removal of the rivets but this is how the seal was installed on the new cap I had “in stock”. I have two caps so I can experiment with one of them. Thx

The seal has a large groove in it that fits well onto the springy cap mechanism. I’ll look ok into removal of the rivets but this is how the seal was installed on the new cap I had “in stock”. I have two caps so I can experiment with one of them. Thx
When I first bought my bike it leaked from the gas cap
The PO had it installed up side down so I put the new one on the same way (yep it leaked)
Looked at the parts diagram and put it back together again the correct way (hey no leak)

upload_2021-5-17_11-29-37.png

This is from XS650SK. Only a few show the breakdown and I know this one does. It shows the orientation of the seal.

upload_2021-5-17_11-34-50.png

XS650C gives you nothing.

FWIW, I have replaced a few of these seals. I consider myself experienced in late model fuel caps.

Last edited:
Feelin kinda dumb but got it on “right side up”. Pretty easy. Pop out the rubber plug in the Center; remove the screw and other bits and the Center section easily separates from the cap. Roll on the new seal, reassemble and its all good. Thx for everyone’s help.

145D720B-DA38-409B-A535-8D62B57765A8.jpeg
338C99F4-75A1-47BB-9276-DA9E90C83824.jpeg
05E06880-C36D-477B-88AB-EB11D7DF63BD.jpeg

FYI, if you're dealing with an old cap, it has a filter element in it that is likely rotten. It will plug the vent. If you run out of fuel with a much less than empty tank, it is culprit #1.

FYI, if you're dealing with an old cap, it has a filter element in it that is likely rotten. It will plug the vent. If you run out of fuel with a much less than empty tank, it is culprit #1.
The cap I’m using is an aftermarket replacement so no filter. Maybe I should stuff a small piece of foam in there.

The cap I’m using is an aftermarket replacement so no filter. Maybe I should stuff a small piece of foam in there.
OE has a small piece of rotted foam. The ones I fixed, I used a small piece of Scotch Brite. On the OE cap, something has to go in there. It won’t vent without some kind of filter material.

well lubed and warm the seal will install without drilling the rivets.
And what are we lubing it with I have 4D40/ grease /silicon spray which might have some hydrocarbons in the mix?

5t will say red rubber grease. but i run down to napa and buy sil-glyde.
1671541801633.png

The counter guy there swears I'm eating it like library paste.
On old rubber parts I soften with oil of wintergreen then coat with sil-glyde, seems to keep parts soft for years.

5t will say red rubber grease. but i run down to napa and buy sil-glyde.
View attachment 232347
The counter guy there swears I'm eating it like library paste.
On old rubber parts I soften with oil of wintergreen then coat with sil-glyde, seems to keep parts soft for years.
I'll have to get a tube
When did they switch the cap seal I know my 75 than what is showing for this 76
What I'm seeing here for the 76 looks like what I need for my latest 81

This is what Revzilla is showing​

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2M0-24641-00-00
And Wallmart has this for $ 8.79 good enough ?

Attachments

• sil glyde.jpeg
    sil glyde.jpeg
    19 KB · Views: 37
Back