Rear shocks and other stuff..

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I attended a vintage bike group meeting last night and we had a small swap meet. I planned to get rid of some stuff but ended up taking home more than I brought there. Included in my box of new treasures, was this pair of shocks. They looked too cool to leave behind. I Googled the company and it seems they are now defunct. Does anyone recognize them? I’d imagine they were pricey back in their time. They measure about 12-3/4” eye to rye and have 3/8” mounts. Maybe they’d look cool on the back of the ‘76?

I also brought home this cool kit from Emgo that uses engine compression to inflate your tires. Interesting design with a check valve at the engine adaptor to allow air out but not back to the cylinder. I doubt if it would ever be used but was in a “free” bin. It was brand new but the hose was so old it broke when I tried to straighten it out. I may get a replacement hose for it for a project. It looks like it’s probably 3/16” ID. Any recommendations on what hose I should get? I suppose if it’s only tire pressure I’m dealing with, braided fuel line is probably good enough.

Photo’s coming.

IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3812.jpeg
IMG_3807.jpeg
IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3811.jpeg
IMG_3806.jpeg
IMG_3805.jpeg

If those shocks are Works Performance, yes they went out of business. However, a company called Worx Shocks has opened in their place. They can provide spare parts etc.... For suspension units by the previous company. HTH.

Link -

http://worxshocks.com/
Thanks, I saw that last night when I searched but it doesn’t seem to be a good website address. When I searched it just gave me random unrelated advertising.

Thanks, I saw that last night when I searched but it doesn’t seem to be a good website address. When I searched it just gave me random unrelated advertising.
That's a bit odd. I just tried it and it seems to work fine for me. They helped me out last year with spare parts for a Works Performance shock on a Buell Lightning.

Sorry if it doesn't work for you.

I want to disassemble the shocks to clean them up a bit. Do you need a special tool to take these things apart. I cant compress the spring enough by hand to allow removal of the horseshoe shaped retainer below the spring assembly.

I want to disassemble the shocks to clean them up a bit. Do you need a special tool to take these things apart. I cant compress the spring enough by hand to allow removal of the horseshoe shaped retainer below the spring assembly.
Worx sent me strip down and rebuild instructions for the shock I had for a Buell Lightning. It might pay for you to mail them and ask if they can advise you. Once I had stripped the unit down and identified the correct parts, they shipped them to me. I think it's worth your while asking them if they can do the same for you. Hope that helps.

Worx sent me strip down and rebuild instructions for the shock I had for a Buell Lightning. It might pay for you to mail them and ask if they can advise you. Once I had stripped the unit down and identified the correct parts, they shipped them to me. I think it's worth your while asking them if they can do the same for you. Hope that helps.
I can do that. Thanks!

Back