Crankcase leak

Bucko

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all,ive spent the past couple of weeks chasing oil leaks on the motor on my xs2,i bought the bike pretty much in pieces as a "project" first the drain plugs leaked,easy new copper washers,then the sump plate leaked,new gasket,last week the clutch pushrod oil seal leaked,new pushrod,oil seal and bushing,sorted! Now today theres a leak that coming from were the crankcases join together between the alternator and the clutch push rod,i believe the p.o. Tried to stop this leak as upon closer inspection theres a fine line of epoxy covering the join at this point,so is there an easy way to split the cases from below? Thanks for any help!

If you engine is complete, just flip it upside down and pull just the lower case half.
You can do this without taking the top apart.
Leo

If you're going to split the cases then you'll need to pull the whole motor out of the frame. And then, yes, remove all you've mentioned and probably a few more items as well. Some of the fasteners holding the case halves together are hidden under the side covers.

The stator anyway, the rotor can stay. The clutch yes, both sidecovers, of course. There are nuts that are kinda hidden by the clutch and one by the starter gears cover.
Leo

Back