David Bird Hardtail Section - Modded

Punkskalar

Hugh's HandBuilt
Reaction score
First off, let me say that I think the David Bird Hardtail design is one of the best on the market. It has smoother lines, and looks just right if you ask me. The fit is spot on, and the notches where the upper frame meets the hardtail sections are perfect (unlike some "other" tails where it isn't even notched, requiring a fat ugly MIG weld to fill in the gaps...)

One of the best parts of a DB tail, is that most users can install it without a frame jig, due to the unique fit against the OEM Frame Lowers... This unique fit, does require some extra plating and "boxing" of the joint. you can see below, where the factory frame meets the DB tail section how that all works out (I stole this pic off of the intarwebs...)

David+Bird.jpg

This is NOT a David Bird bash, or critique... His products are perfectly fine as is (and one of the best fitting I've ever seen in person!) However, we had a customer who wanted the lines of the DB tail, but not the Triangular plates. It also didn't help that the Owner's frame was already cut for a different style tail section, so we had to do something...

So off to the frame jig and we modded the frame to look more "factory" and without the triangular plates...

IMG_0770%5B1%5D.jpg

A little bit of bending, some new tubing, a few slugs, and a new lower frame crossbrace and we were in business...

Ignore the lack of finish welding... I'm planning to do that this afternoon...

IMG_0776%5B1%5D.jpg

As you can see, the lines of the DB tail are perfect (in my opinion) and cleaning up that lower frame section only adds to the appeal of his work...

IMG_0774%5B1%5D.jpg

Just thought a few Chop guys would like to see a DB tail modded to remove the Triangular Plates...

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/2012/06/david-bird-hardtail-with-mods.html

I did the exact same thing about three months ago with some lathe turned solid slugs, new crossmember, and extended down tube and I must say in terms of aesthetics it looks much cleaner, the only difference is I did it with a looped hardtail.

Pics or it didn't happen. And yes, those are 23's. Too lazy to do a build thread.

403019114.jpg

403019112.jpg

For those too lazy to mod a DB tail (like me :thumbsup:) check out the Voodoo Vintage Mk21 tail. Similar lines as a DB without the hassle and very nice craftmanship

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 381
Back