Dead cyl sync method issue

sou1f1y33

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used the dead cylinder sync method that PamcoPete suggests on my 79 with BS38's and have both carbs running at 1000 Rpms separately like the instructions state. When I close both barbs and have the cylinders running together the idle will rev to about 3500. What do I have to adjust to get the idle to stop racing and sit where it is supposed to? I previously did a bench sync and it seems to be close and my timing is right on the F mark. Any suggestions?

Thanks

The idle speed screw sets the idle speed on the left carb, the sync screw sets the idle speed on the right carb to match the left carb. So once you get then set the same with the dead cylinder method you just back out the left carb idle screw till the idle speed is where you want it.
This applies to the 76 up linked carbs. If you are using an earlier set of unlinked carbs then you have to back off the idle speed screws of both carbs evenly untill you get the idle speed you want.
Leo

Well, I guess that would depend on just how good you did the dead cylinder syncing. If this was the first time or one of the first times you've ever tried this, you may want to check your work with a manometer. As you do it more times and get a better "feel" for it, you may not need the check.

Running good and sounding good are metaphors for life itself, so must be good for crude XS engines as well...:bike:

Ride. Enjoy. Life is simple...:thumbsup:

Running good and sounding good are metaphors for life itself, so must be good for crude XS engines as well...:bike:

Ride. Enjoy. Life is simple...:thumbsup:
Search yard stick manometer. cheap and easy.
As for good enuf, I feel great for a 80yr old!!

I'm 41 -don't lol that!

Back