Deer friends.

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just a seasonal heads up for those that ride where deer are common.
Daylight is getting shorter, When the weather is warm we are trying to get in those "last good rides". Going to work may be at sun up. The does have full sized fawns that are still following and deer are starting to group up into winter herds. With rut approaching there's lots of moving especially at dusk and dawn.
OK my point. I'm getting better at avoiding "fixation", see a deer - immediately check the opposite shoulder for a "buddy deer". Last night in the van the buddy deer was less than 3 feet from the van as I slowed and passed. fortunately it stayed put where it stood on the shoulder.
With harvest starting, equipment is on the roads, often with no lights, wide machines kick gravel out on the road in corners, corn gets spilled. For some reason the townships round here have gone on a tar and gravel spree, I can hardly ride without finding freshly graveled roads everywhere.
I run LED headlights on all my bikes, I still need to put the LED high beam in the beemer.
Be careful out there.

Last edited:
Those gummint goats are no friends of mine! Jackson County has been laying down loose cold asphalt fill and gravel too; some major vendor must be spreading a lot of bribes or have a large scale mind control operation going. Or is it a conspiracy?

Fresh chip 'n seal is the bane of country riding around these parts, another potential is those Amish buggy ruts in the highway. I saw them recently on a cage trip north though I haven't been on the bike in that part of the county in a long while. I'll class them with tar snakes.

Wife was closing the shades last eve and said there was a buck in the back yard, well I did have to go look and sho'nuff, a 9 pointer and a little buddy spike eating my chestnuts. Close enough to count the tines.

Deer whistles on our cars have worked for years, though they're not an excuse to ignore potential run ins. I find the exhaust note on the '77 has the same affect and even I can hear that.......

I saw a very surprising sight not long ago. A herd of deer was running toward the highway on a collision course with my car. My wife was with me. The deer were at full gallop and I prepared to stop as I had a lot of time to see them coming. They ran to the edge of the road (maybe 20 of them) and stopped. They allowed me to pass and crossed behind. Never in my life have I ever seen that, except for bears and there's never more than one of them.

I've had one run into the passenger door of my car
You'd think there timing could be a bit better

I've had one run into the passenger door of my car
You'd think there timing could be a bit better
I should have eight deer heads painted on my left front fender like a fighter pilot. I collected all of them in Georgia. My drive every day to work car has deer damage on it that I'm not going to fix. That one nearly came through the windshield. Yes, I did have one run into the side of the car as well. Also watched one run full speed into the car in front of me, then get up and run off.
Mississippi has a whole lot of deer as well, but not nearly as many people. I hope that makes a difference. On a motorbike, they'll kill you! Around here, I also see cattle on the road occasionally, so speeding with limited sight distance is extremely dangerous.
AAC95901-39C6-4428-B6C7-734714216B4F.jpeg

I should have eight deer heads painted on my left front fender like a fighter pilot. I collected all of them in Georgia. My drive every day to work car has deer damage on it that I'm not going to fix. That one nearly came through the windshield. Yes, I did have one run into the side of the car as well. Also watched one run full speed into the car in front of me, then get up and run off.
Mississippi has a whole lot of deer as well, but not nearly as many people. I hope that makes a difference. On a motorbike, they'll kill you! Around here, I also see cattle on the road occasionally, so speeding with limited sight distance is extremely dangerous.
View attachment 198939
A fiend of mine has a few hits on his car too
I just said drive till it needs tires or something because in the winter he's going to work while it's still dark and he has to drive a long way out in the middle of nowhere to get to work
I need to show him how to take the loins and hind quarters off the ones he hits (free govt. mutton)

The black tail deer here are pretty common and plentiful. I always wait and watch for the buck pushing a herd across the road. Kind of a tail-end-charlie.
This time of year, we have to be more watchful of bears. They are not afraid of humans and will wonder through neighborhoods looking for fallen fruit, or down to the shoreline or creeks looking for fish. Had a scare yesterday on a local trail. A noise made me look over my shoulder. There was a adult black bear following me about 50 ft back. Scared the crop out of me. Grabbed the dog and started jogging. I think he was heading to a nearby acreage and just happened to cross the trail behind me. At least that is the explanation I am sticking to.

I saw a very surprising sight not long ago. A herd of deer was running toward the highway on a collision course with my car. My wife was with me. The deer were at full gallop and I prepared to stop as I had a lot of time to see them coming. They ran to the edge of the road (maybe 20 of them) and stopped. They allowed me to pass and crossed behind. Never in my life have I ever seen that, except for bears and there's never more than one of them.
I suspect evolution is at work. Those that stop are much more likely to procreate....

I was riding home the BMr from a club meeting about 3 in the morning years ago. 2 lane highway. BMr had a good headlight. In the distance I could see movement on the right shoulder of the road. I slowed down some. Movement was black and white. The way the movement looked I thought it was joggers. Joggers at 3am?. Kept slowing down. Turned out it was a half dozen Jerseys out for a trot. Could have got ugly if one of them had moved out in the road and I stuck the fairing up it's ass.
have had many close calls with all kids of animal. I has always paid off to watch not just the road and ditches but also fields and front yards.

Bow season starts on Saturday in Pa. Those buggers will be popping out of the woods like a Super Mario game! Then comes Rutt season, when all the hormones will be racing! Nothing like trying to avoid 7 or more daggers on top of a 300 pound plus obstacle???

Back