Did not make it home in one piece

Hi 2many, you ol' literalist you,

Haha, Fred, yep, guilty. Especially on even-numbered Tuesdays.

Let me condense your list:-
Sidestands is for parking.
Centrestands is for servicing.

There you go! Seems that list identifies my problem.

Too much servicing (and 'sperimenting), not enuff ridin' and parkin'.

And you obviously need a bigger barn. With space for a shop crane.

Bingo. Story of my life. Bigger place, then stuff for that place, needing even bigger place, ...etc.
I believe you're in the same predicament.
Didn't you fellows pioneer the Tardis technology? Could use a little of that...

If your bike lacks a suitable lift handle for deploying the center stand you might consider one of these.

box end lift handle 001.JPG

I've mounted them from the left side top shock mount to a spot on the rear seat loop. Might need to weld on a stud for the rear mount. Wrenches, as you know, come in many lengths, off sets and sizes but the bends generally work out well and tuck in nicely.:)

roy

Hi Mick,
OK then, sidestands is also for those who have difficulty using a centrestand.
About the photo, a centrestand's usual fail point is where the kickdown extension is welded on, not part way up the stand leg.
So WTF happened to yours to break it where it's shown?

Jeez, I'm losing it! When I offered a technique for popping the scoot onto the center stand, I forgot to mention the key thing--it's done with the rider in the saddle. With hands under seat and left foot on lever, bump butt down on seat and stand up.

When I drive my bike back into the garage, I always use the centre stand, and there's no lifting needed. Place a couple of short pieces of 2 X 6's on the garage floor, with a piece of 3/4" plywood/particle board in front of them. As you drive in, go over all the wood with the front wheel, then the rear wheel will first ride up onto the 3/4" wood, and then up onto the 2 X 6. Stop the bike when the rear wheel is up on the last 2 x 6. Shut off the engine, and dismount the bike. Position your right hand on the rear of the bike to help balance it. Now push down firmly with your left leg on the centre stand lever, and the fulcrum effect from the centre stand design will lift the bike up and onto the centre stand. My bike does not have a lifting handle, and its not required. It may be even easier if you push down once with only medium force, which gets the bike moving forward, and the allow it to rock backwards. As it starts to rock forward, push down with full force and the momentum of the bike helps it go forward and up onto the center stand. So easy a child could do it:)

The trick is the fact that once the rear wheel is on top of the 2 X 6, its already 1.5 " up above the garage floor, so almost no effort to complete going onto the stand. I thought everyone knew about this trick. I think It was Pamcopete that told me how to do it.

So WTF happened to yours to break it where it's shown?

Ihi Fred, ive been turning the bike around on hard surfaces when needed, I would surmise that was what caused the fracture then obviously the final breaking off. It's really easy to turn the bike 180 degrees when it's on the stand, just push the ass and yank on the left hand handlebar.....it spins with ease....

Jeez, I'm losing it! When I offered a technique for popping the scoot onto the center stand, I forgot to mention the key thing--it's done with the rider in the saddle. With hands under seat and left foot on lever, bump butt down on seat and stand up.
Hi grizld1,
I realize that you are just kidding but you'd most likely feel bad if some newbie injured himself trying that because he believed you meant it.

Ihi Fred, ive been turning the bike around on hard surfaces when needed, I would surmise that was what caused the fracture then obviously the final breaking off. It's really easy to turn the bike 180 degrees when it's on the stand, just push the ass and yank on the left hand handlebar.....it spins with ease....

Hi Mick,
- - - until the stand busts off, eh? So you not only admit to being an XS650 abuser, you seem proud of it?

Affirmative Fred, I re-built it, I can thrash it.......I did re weld the stand, put in a larger chunk of metal so I can continue on "abusing" my 650

Looks like my right arm has healed-up enuff for marathon tablet typing. I can also lift straight/forward, like gripping a suitcase handle, and can grip the handlebar/throttle ok (palm down). Just can't rotate it for curls (palm up), like for gripping the bike's framerail. Going to try Grizld1's "bootstrap" technique later, since that's a straight/forward grip.

In the meantime, thinking on Gordon's idea, a Google search on "center stand lift handle" pops-up a bunch of swing-out style lift handles. Mostly for BMWs, but found this thing for Ducatis.

LiftHandle.jpg

Our XS's just so happen to have an angled frame section in front of the shock that may be a suitable mount zone for something like that.

LiftHandle-XS1.jpg

What say you saddlebag riders?

Last edited:
Fred, I am absolutely not kidding, and as far as causing injury goes, there's far less chance of dropping the bike while straddling it than there would be standing beside it. The technique positions the rider to use the leg far more effectively in getting the bike onto the stand while the arms only brace, and no strain is applied to the back. And don't think you have to have the height of an NBA player to do it--I stand a little over 5' 6" in my socks.

Being a sidecar operator these days I don't do centrestands any more so my thoughts on the matter are taken from memory.
And even if grizld1 swears that his method really does work I do wonder how many times he tried it before he got it right?
And what damage did the bike suffer and what injuries did he get during the procedure's development?
Sidestands are another matter. Sometimes the sidecar has to be removed in order to access the bike for maintenance.
Best the sidestand is still there because the short 6 x 6 that's kept special to prop the bike on will have disappeared
and you can't let go of the bike to go look for it.

Fred I've used a technique similar to grizld1's for awhile.
Sitting on the bike, push on the center stands tang with my left foot. Rear back on the handle bars.
I think the "secret" is what each individual is comfortable with.

Fred, none of the scenarios you've painted bears any resemblance to my experience or to what I'd anticipate for anyone else. The method is not a trick, and involves less risk than lifting from the side. I offered it because it gets the bike on the stand by pushing down with the leg, not lifting with the arms or back; the hands and arms simply lock in place while the leg does the work. I don't think I need to spell out why pushing down with the leg involves less risk of injury.

Last edited:
Okay......for me at least I "think" I have found the answer for my handleless XS650B. I dug through a box of bits I have on the shelf and came up with a folding footpeg with mount.....just so happens it's a Yamaha bit but I have no clue where it came from. No photos yet because I'm still messing around with the fit but it will mount to the bikes frame. When not in use the peg will fold down out of the way.(upside down from normal)....when I need it, I just reach down and fold it up and it gives me a handle to help lift the bike...and....Bob's yer uncle.

I like that idea Gordon. I've seen other bikes on Youtube that have a setup kind of like that anyway.

Removed the side stand from my XS650, but I used to pop it (and my /2 series Beemers, back in the day) onto the stand like this.
1. Park bike on level surface.
2. Set left foot on center stand lever.
3. Grab edges of seat with both hands.
4. Put full weight on left foot and stand up--lift with the leg, not the arms or back. If you have to, bounce the scoot forward and let fork rebound help.
Glad you're healing up, 2M.

That sound good, except somebody replace the seat on mine, and it has no latch, so you can't really pull up on it. I think I need to find a strap, or a footpeg like Gordon. Sounds like the main idea is to use your legs, which is difficult on mine because I can't get a good grip on the frame, and when I try it, it's too high up, so my arm is bent rather than straight.

Anyway, now that this thread is thoroughly hijacked, I'm glad to hear everyone is healing up.

Oh, this thread is beyond hijacked. Marty must be so proud...

Felt good to get back in the saddle again. Arm is still a little sore, but manageable.

Griz, I tried your "bootstrap" technique. And, while goofing around with it, 40+ year-old memories resurfaced. I HAVE done this before, but on smaller Hondas, after riding them onto the lift.

But, even with all my weight on the centerstand's step/ball, I was unsuccessful with my XS1B.
I think it's a geometry thing, partly my physique, partly (maybe?) a uniqueness of the early frames?

The unladen seat height is 31".
The centerstanded seat height is 32.5"
My inseam is 31", with shoes 32".
I could only put my fingers into a narrow/thin spot just behind the shocks, circled here:

XS1B-Liftpoint-02.jpg

This pic shows the centerstand starting point. The relative distances between the step/ball, ground pads, and frame pivot, shows a disadvantageous leverage ratio. The rear tire is old-school 100% aspect bias-ply 4.00-18, which tends to have a larger OD than equivalent P-metrics, meaning that the condition would be worse with a modern tire. Maybe the later 74-on frames and centerstands have a better geometry?

XS1B-Centerstand-01.jpg

Once up on the centerstand, I can slide a 1-1/2" thick board under the tire, showing how high this thing goes up.

XS1B-Centerstand-02.jpg

So, since I fail the test, I'm studying the area just below the seat latch, thinkin' on some sort of lift handle.

XS1B-Liftpoint-01.jpg

"Riding [small Hondas] onto the lift...." Guess you're talking about the old time flip benches? Man those things could be treacherous! But it's not the time or place for war stories.
Sorry the test was a no-go, but it's not a failure on your part--geometry just isn't your friend!

Back