dies when idling

seniorsalazar

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
just started doing it today, i was at red light and just stopped on me then did it 2 more times, i have to give it a lil throttle at stops, anyone had this prob before, oh its a xs400

Mine has been doing that. It misses or something occasionally at idle (sounds like it coughs or spits). Had to up the idle to keep it from stalling when that happens. Starting to do it more though. Am going to try and track down the problem this weekend.

man if you find something out please let me know, i wont have a chace to touch my bike this weekend, urs a 400?

No, TX650... It seems to do it more when its nice and warmed up. So a couple times I pulled over and tried to listen real close if one cylinder or both were doing it and of course it would run fine. Only seems to do it at stoplights. lol.

THese get richer when they warm up......mix screws should always be adjusted at operating temperature.............xsjohn

and also when im driving at a constant speed it will sputter not when i decelerate or accelerate just constant speed

Idle speed=1200 rpm in neutral, fully warmed up.Senior, it sounds like you got a dirty carb, gotta remove, clean the crap out of them, esp. the pilot circuts, check the rubber intake boots for possable leaking of air (lean mix), also around the throttle shafts.Use the carb guide thats posted on the homepage.

Idle speed=1200 rpm in neutral, fully warmed up.Senior, it sounds like you got a dirty carb, gotta remove, clean the crap out of them, esp. the pilot circuts, check the rubber intake boots for possable leaking of air (lean mix), also around the throttle shafts.Use the carb guide thats posted on the homepage.

yeah i beleive that the boots may have a small crack in em cause im also getting this little almost bird like chirping sound from the boot is what it sounds like its coming from. how hard is it to sync em again or to sync em perfect

The mysterious "chirping" noise, something many XS owners have experienced. Is usually caused by an air leak but can be a right pig to find. :banghead: Mine turned out to be from the choke body on the right carb, replaced the philips screws with allen bolts (originals were chewed up & you could not tighten them properly) and its never returned. But can be throttle shaft seals or ........................ Do a search for "chirping" on the 650garage for ideas & happy hunting

Back