High Idle: can slow with hand

I’ve learned installed in the right orientation doesn’t always mean installed right. Lol

Yes, they must be centered for best sealing and so they don't bind in the bore. But this is an odd one. As I mentioned earlier, normally the return springs pull the shafts toward them during operation. Both of his are "pulled" the other way.

Ok thanks!! I have new screws for them and will use locktite. I’ll make sure the emblem is in the right place too.. there’s just one screw in particular that looks like it’ll be a pain to get out

You can loosen the butterfly screws, back off the idle screw, and snap the throttle closed a couple times to center, retightem screws.

Last edited:
The install of the spring on the left carb looks wrong. The little hook on the outer end is supposed to hook on that little tab on top of the throttle cable bracket, and I'm not seeing it there .....

Finished6.jpg

If only one return spring is hooked up, maybe that's the issue. One spring may not have enough strength to pull the butterflies closed tight.

Ah ok, here’s a better look. I see there are 2 tabs on the top and one on the bottom. Is the spring on the wrong top tab?

Attachments

• IMG_6790.jpeg
    IMG_6790.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 39
Yes, that's the right way. Center the butterfly plates and I'll bet it snaps closed better.

Yeah there was slack, I loosened it all the way on the throttle adjuster and could see the slack at the throttle stop but it was still stuck/idling high.

I was looking through the throttle plate forums and read that a little bit of light is ok(?).

The throttle plate stuff looks a bit tricky, and would rather avoid it, but I can see the screws on the throttle plate on one of the carbs have been rounded out a little. So its probable they haven’t been centred right. Here is a photo of both the carbs and the light that gets through.
Two different springs???

Well, I just went for a ride after putting the spring back together how it was. Sometimes when I stopped the idle would go down and sometimes it would stay at 1.5. If I pushed it down it would stay low. I'll give it a clean but I agree, I think doing the plates will improve the situation.

Kevin, I think they're the same springs but span different distances. Is that right?

Well, I just went for a ride after putting the spring back together how it was. Sometimes when I stopped the idle would go down and sometimes it would stay at 1.5. If I pushed it down it would stay low. I'll give it a clean but I agree, I think doing the plates will improve the situation.

Kevin, I think they're the same springs but span different distances. Is that right?
It maybe, my experience there is limited. My "Red Bike" has VMs and I never had the carb set completely off my Tracker but spent lots of time rejetting each. I noticed the coil spacing in your pics and wondered if there was a difference. Good luck. Cheers

Back