Does everybody talk to themselves when alone?

Raymond

likes to play with old motorbikes
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Occasionally muse out loud to meself on this subject and I know society's official view is that you should not talk to yourself or that it's a sign of madness if you do. But I wonder why society takes that view and how it measures up to reality? Did a quick google as one does and found some studies find talking to yourself may be a sign of intelligence and even genius.

A quote from a page on linkedin:

• Another study found that participants who talked out loud to themselves while solving abstract logic puzzles performed three times better than those who worked in silence. These puzzles had two components that increased in difficulty; it was on the second, more difficult component that the self-talkers surpassed the silent group. The researcher concluded that talking to themselves “lead to increased awareness of past behavior, particularly of those aspects necessary for a successful solution.” In other words, the self-talkers basically taught themselves how to solve the puzzles.

It is generally regarded to be a good thing to do by those who study self talk.
I think we are self-conscious about doing so because much our society is rather ignorant and uptight, thus our mutterings get misunderstood.

I talk to myself occasionally, briefly, and don't think much about it.

Occasionally muse out loud to meself on this subject and I know society's official view is that you should not talk to yourself or that it's a sign of madness if you do. But I wonder why society takes that view and how it measures up to reality? Did a quick google as one does and found some studies find talking to yourself may be a sign of intelligence and even genius.

A quote from a page on linkedin:

• Another study found that participants who talked out loud to themselves while solving abstract logic puzzles performed three times better than those who worked in silence. These puzzles had two components that increased in difficulty; it was on the second, more difficult component that the self-talkers surpassed the silent group. The researcher concluded that talking to themselves “lead to increased awareness of past behavior, particularly of those aspects necessary for a successful solution.” In other words, the self-talkers basically taught themselves how to solve the puzzles.

Oh yes, to right I talk to myself; when alone and in company.
I chatter away when in the company of my wife; and low and behold, she will often ask me the same question I just answered!

I almost miss the Covid days and masking up to go to the store
I could mutter away and no could here me or... If I could hear my self bitch about people gee gawking and in my way perhaps they could hear it too... Nah
Besides my filters don't work as well anymore

Most especially when checking off bolts... "Tight, tight, tight, tight... bugger."
You made me think of me Mother. "Bugger!" was the worst swear word she ever used. Mostly reserved for those situations of self-inflicted stress. Like hitting your finger with the hammer trying to put a nail in. When I grew up, the sound of a nail going in was Bang! Bang! Bang! "Bugger!"

You made me think of me Mother. "Bugger!" was the worst swear word she ever used. Mostly reserved for those situations of self-inflicted stress. Like hitting your finger with the hammer trying to put a nail in. When I grew up, the sound of a nail going in was Bang! Bang! Bang! "Bugger!"
Funny, "bugger me" was my Mom's go to curse. Works for about any situation. Been know to use it myself...

Back