Does everybody talk to themselves when alone?

The little fella never leaves me alone, nobody else can see him, but they're lying...anyway since I am never alone, I don't know if I talk to myself...hey, did you feel that? Wait! the little guy is stealing my beer! I knew the doc gave me the wrong stuff...

Me: Sometimes I talk to myself.

Me: OMG! Me too!
IMG_9026.png

You made me think of me Mother. "Bugger!" was the worst swear word she ever used. Mostly reserved for those situations of self-inflicted stress. Like hitting your finger with the hammer trying to put a nail in. When I grew up, the sound of a nail going in was Bang! Bang! Bang! "Bugger!"
Part of the vernacular on my fathers side, though it's meaning has softened through multiple generations here in the States.
As a pre teen I was under the guardianship of my paternal grandparents for a couple years. When my uncle, 9 years senior to me, married and moved out, I inherited his dog Skipper.
Skipper was a Spaniel Spitz mix and was one Rat killing son of a bitch. "Get the bugger, sic 'em!" was the command and he'd make short work of any he could find. Scored nine kills one day sneaking into a neighboring township pig farm. Thinking that context makes it a noun?
I have an oil leak where the oil filter is mounted to my Jeep Sport 4 liter. There's a torx bolt that has to come out but the engine mount gives little room for a breaker bar and socket. It's going to be a bugger to fix. Verb? Thinking I had a virus the week we were taught that grammar in grade school.......

Don't talk to my self as much as I answer out loud some of questions that are in my head. No adverse to calling myself, "Chook for brains" out loud when I screw up.

Funny how a woman uses bugger, or bugger me as a phrase, and men fuck or fuck me. Bugger me being the term for anal sex, and fuck me is vaginal sex.....the Kinks, "boys will b girls and girls will b boys, it's a mixed up shook up world"

when Toyota used the term, "bugger" as the theme, and made it a viral phrase before the internet, in their Hilux add

I am remembering with glee the white house buggers... I miss Tricky Dikie the Nix... Actually they say there were and are buggers there. Many people often feel anterior pressure...from those buggers.

Sometimes I'll feel the need for an intelligent conversation on various deep subjects.
So yeah... who else fits the bill, other than me? :er:
Exactly!

Seriously tho, Folks, I do talk to myself. Often, as others have said, chastising myself and wondering out loud how someone so stupid has managed to survive this long.

Someone mentioned "tight...tight...tight...BUGGER!" (Love that word...note to self: use it more often) and while the most common reaction is flying tools and a stream of multi-syllabic invective at maximum volume, occasionally (very, VERY occasionally) I'll be in an unusually mellow mood and calmly comment "Well, that's not quite the result I was looking for." Kids/neighbors/acquaintances are so used to the first reaction that when I go with Number 2 they look at me like "Who are you, and what have you done with the Downeaster we know and love?"

I've also been know to giggle or laugh right out loud for no externally apparent reason just because a thought wandered through that tickled me. THAT will garner some strange looks when it happens in public...

While visiting the small Merchantile in town to pick up some building supplies, the attractive young lady at checkout noticed the gaping, self inflicted wound on my left hand caused by busting up concrete with a chisel and mallet, the mallet slipped and struck my index knuckle.
Looking at it with grave concern she said "Oh! Do you need a bandaid for that?"
I responded with "Nah, it needs to air out now. You should have heard what I called the guy that did that....." and to help clarify who I was talking about I then showed her the blood blister on my thumb caused by placing it between the hammer and a nail saying "he did that too."

Reading Downeaster above, especially "giggle and laugh", reminded me of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in two ways>

One, practical: "Japanese motorcycle require great peace of mind" (Harleys are worse imho!)

The other is more philosophical, and good to think about. This was about sanity. iirc Persig says that "the way to get out of the mental lock up joint is to decide to pretend to be sane" - and also iirc, there's the idea that everybody is crazy, but most get used to pretending sanity, acting sane...(a few are genuine nutjobs and dangerous!) it's important act sane, to getting on, to school, to work, to live in the world of people in some degree of concert...well, of course, discipline erodes with age, and working, puttering, riding, alone we don't really need to act sane, do we? Wait! Did you feel that... ;) I remember Truman as president, so I remember the ways of the US in the 1950+ period, and people used to visit and talk and meet in groups, smoking and drinking and often singing songs together...very sanity-forming. They also just about all had jobs and many worked half day Saturdays...no time to get nutty. Now, perhaps, we are not so structurally, socially, formed to pretend sanity. Additionally, the agreed myths of a people seem "somewhat" blasted away, eh? What was it the old junkie sodomite Bill Burroughs said? "Nothing is true, everything is permitted" (I just looked it up) https://www.cambridge.org/core/book...-s-burroughs/86B4D2C2713DA95CB3D9DA1031C9C67F Observant fella, of course he was speaking of an entire country, not a fella working alone on an old bike...that has it's own sanity-forcing magic, and this is inescapable. I myself often laugh for no apparent reason, the world at large seems absurd to me. Barking nuts in fact. Contrawise, the old bikes are placid and sane. Best! 40N

There's a lot there in your ramble, @40north. During our lifetime, for a whole lot of reasons, people's groundedness has been swept away. Minds all over the place. Always rushing around thinking about plans and deadlines and events happening other places. Always watching recorded news, people someplace else speculating about what might happen somewhere else again. Pressure, worry, events closing in, old certainties gone.

Sanity is knowing where you are, what you're doing, paying attention, mindfulness even.

I never talk to myself, I have tools and machinery for that, I talk to them constantly. Well, I don't actually talk 'to' them, more like talk at them. Nope, that's not right either, it's really more of a case of yell, scream, shout and curse at them. But all's good, they understand where I'm coming from eventually and bend to my will.
I also don't have hair on the palm of my hand.

Don't talk to my self as much as I answer out loud some of questions that are in my head. No adverse to calling myself, "Chook for brains" out loud when I screw up.

Funny how a woman uses bugger, or bugger me as a phrase, and men fuck or fuck me. Bugger me being the term for anal sex, and fuck me is vaginal sex.....the Kinks, "boys will b girls and girls will b boys, it's a mixed up shook up world"

when Toyota used the term, "bugger" as the theme, and made it a viral phrase before the internet, in their Hilux add
Those ads were priceless... a must watch for those that haven't seen them. In my circle, we still use the term amongst ourselves when expressing surprise.

I certainly talk to myself at times, sometimes just to audibly express a thought, sometimes to consciously and audibly pursue a process or procedure, sometimes to chastise myself or others, sometimes to express surprise. Done mostly in private but not adverse to doing it in public. Most recently in a grocery store: "In what world are potatoes worth $1.49 a pound??? At that price, you can keep em!" 🤨

Now Atom, that's not talking to yourself when alone, that's talking publicly. Certainly in Britain it is accepted for person to speak out loud enough for those around to hear, without addressing their remark to anyone in particular. In the shop, in a public place, even in the street but in that case it must be a reaction to something that others can see. Or hear. Or smell . . .

Now Atom, that's not talking to yourself when alone, that's talking publicly. Certainly in Britain it is accepted for person to speak out loud enough for those around to hear, without addressing their remark to anyone in particular. In the shop, in a public place, even in the street but in that case it must be a reaction to something that others can see. Or hear. Or smell . . .
It was done more as a musing to myself, or possibly to the store in general ... if someone overheard, so be it!

Talking to myself, more often as a pair, as theater to play with the minds of the people at the store... Honeypie n' me do this in the line at grocery, etc... Yesterday we discussed rather louder than necessary the great political leader, formerly said to have been a comedian, who was on European TV playing the piano with his, ugh, "member"... scandalized the ladies in line when Honeypie actually, loudly, and several times! gave the anatomically correct Latin noun! Just street theater, and fun. We used to make up scripts, but nowadays the freakshow is so profound that this effort is no longer necessary!

Downeaster, if you're crazy, it's not very often my friend...you're pretty sane, imho. I started doing this theater in Phoenix in 1966... Shocked the old ladies eavesdropping, as we whispered a bit too loud... Best 40N

Back