Drag pipes question???

rustynail99

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
ok guys, im looking for some 1.5 inch drag pipes that run down either side. any one know what is out there for under 200 that they would recomend? :shrug: or does anyone on here make them? i was planning having the local muffler guy do it but he wanted 150 aside!!! :yikes: yea... no. then i was going to make some but couldnt find any enexpensive mandrel bends, plus ive never done it before and dont really have anyone around to help me out... :banghead: i was looking into the XS performance headers Part #07-0757 from mikesxs http://www.mikesxs.net/products-44.html#products but i dont know if those would be good. any one running them, maybe with a TCBROS hardtail, how do they look? perform? pics would be good to :) thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:

Gordon Scott..

I bought a set of bends for $30 on fleabay.. 2 90's 2 45's 2 U bends and 2 U bends with 45 degree legs ..

Look for header kits

This is the guy, but he is a little inconsistent with his auctions. Has them sometimes:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130393414360&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

You could also buy a couple of bends from Speedway. The prices aren't bad. This is something I'm pretty sure you could do without help. It just isn't that complicated to make drag pipes.

Somebody on one of these forums suggested a good method for tack welding: Use hose clamps (worm gear type) with holes drilled at equal distances around clamp to secure your joins for tack welding. A pretty slick method for working by yourself.

EDIT: You could also scavenge for a late '80s model Bronco header, as I'm pretty sure that was 1.5" pipe and would give you plenty of bends.

Last edited:
I got the slash cut drag pipes from Gordon Scott...

Couldnt be happier w/ the quality. Quick turnaround & under $200.

Just had em powdercoated satin black.. Looks sick !!

or buy a set of late 70's model xs pipes with the more squared off looking bends and cut the mufflers off. I have a set im going to cut up to make my new exhaust but they look good how they are now as well..

99651426.jpg

luke! aside from maybe making them a little longer, those are pretty much exactly what im looking for! lol. are they double walled though? i have a set of stock pipes that i cut because i thought i could use them but the double wall goes all the way up and makes the id way to small for what im running.

mine are single wall where they are cut.. might want to verify with someone else that this is how they all were on this style piping. Mine were cut when i bought it from the previous owner. I didnt really know if they were stock pipes at first til i did some research and they seem to be the same pipes as used on the earlier models. Might want to do some double checking though so im not leading you astray because im not positive just going off of pictures and what mine look like.

On my 75 pipes the mufflers are a slip fit on the headpipes, than they are clamped with the mount clamp. They are double wall pipes. The outer wall tapers down at the rear and is welded to the inner pipe. This seals the two together and the taper seals the muffler to the head pipe.
I think even on a modified engine using the stock head pipe will work fine. Short open headers don't work well any way except at high rpms.
The smaller ID of the stock headpipes will keep the exhaust velocity faster than the 1 3/4 pipe will. This higher velocity will help scavange the exhaust gases better. This scavanging effect also improves the intake flow during valve over lap.
The short open pipes can also lead to exhaust valve porblems. After a ride you pul up and shut it down, you hear the pipes crackling. This is caused by a flow of cool air up the pipe. A short pipe won't warm this cool air up much. This cool air hits a hot valve and can warp the valve.
I might use the stock head pipe with an extention long enough for ann 8 or 10 inch baffle. This long baffle will slow and warm the cool air to minimize this warping of the valves.
The baffle won't change the sound much, it will still be stupid loud.

XSLeo, i have read a lot about using the drag exhausts and i know the short stubby open pipes are terrible for performance and are obnoxiously loud, but i have heard from many on there, that running 1.5 open drags with the mikuni VM34's and K&N filters are a good set up as long as you have longer drag pipes that create the back pressure needed. i even talked to MMM over at 650central and he told me the same. so im just looking for some open headers similar to what Luke has up there and then i can add pipe to the end and possibly a baffle to get the performance. plus i like the look of the long drags and i dont want it to be so obnoxiously loud that i need ear plugs, im lookin more for style and performance as well as functionality :) thanks for the info though. i appreciate all the help i can get :D god knows i need it!

Back