Duck.

Crashedkiwi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello there ;
I imported an '75XS650 B from the USA nto NZ around a year ago & its in pretty good condition & looks like it had a rebuild some time ago - frame had been powder coated, wiring redone etc. Engine had evidence of work done ( new gaskets observed and clean, new oil in motor) to get it running, I had to strip and clean the carbs, rejet them and I fitted an XScharge ignition unit. I've not been inside it at all.
Started and ran well & I put around 200-ish miles on it no problem. Rides and changes well.

Yesterday, I decided to change the oil as I felt it was due. I found in the Oil filter the mechanics nightmare, a shitton of metal filings. (Photo attached)

I'd natually dropped the lower filter at the same time and while there's sludge, there's no visible evidence of any other metal.
My question to the group is that I'd appreciate from those more experienced members than I the likely source of these filings - starter motor pinion, gear box? Clutch? Long weight? Small rodent?
I realise that I'm most likely looking at a tear down but any insight pre jumping in would be great
Cheers

( Fairly typical isn't it? Finish the project bike and the stock one turns its toes up!)

Attachments

• IMG_7550.jpeg
    IMG_7550.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 74
I know of two other bikes where there was that much metal in the filter after a rebuild. In both cases, we (the group collective :rolleyes: ) suggested doing an oil change and some more miles before going the teardown route. In both cases the filters and oil cleaned up after about 3 changes and about 6-800 miles.... and as far as I know are still good running engines.
Not saying that will work in your case, but might be worth a shot? Clean the filters, fresh oil and run it another 1-200 miles... as long as it's not making funny noises or anything like that.

In both cases I remember we tried to figure out a cause for the metal and never came up with an answer....

I know of two other bikes where there was that much metal in the filter after a rebuild. In both cases, we (the group collective :rolleyes: ) suggested doing an oil change and some more miles before going the teardown route. In both cases the filters and oil cleaned up after about 3 changes and about 6-800 miles.... and as far as I know are still good running engines.
Not saying that will work in your case, but might be worth a shot? Clean the filters, fresh oil and run it another 1-200 miles... as long as it's not making funny noises or anything like that.

In both cases I remember we tried to figure out a cause for the metal and never came up with an answer....
Cheers - I like this approach!

Bendix gear wears a lot. That grinding when starting with electric start. The clip loose's its tension causing the cog to wear. This can be a cause of the metal build up in the filter if not regulay cleaned. Do the oil change and regulary check the filter/strainer.

Bendix gear wears a lot. That grinding when starting with electric start. The clip loose's its tension causing the cog to wear. This can be a cause of the metal build up in the filter if not regulay cleaned. Do the oil change and regulary check the filter/strainer.
Cheers - I wondered if it couLe be this - may just rip the starter off while I’ve got her up on the stand.

Is the sump screen intact? Oil passes through it to the oil pump. From the pump to the oil screen. I acquired a bike with a screen that looks like that as well. It seems a great mystery.

Back