Dunstall Wide Mouth Mufflers

Royboy

many roads, little time
Reaction score
North Central MN / Gold Canyon AZ (seasonal tramp)
Thinking about going with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400421952365?lpid=82 on my 77D' using the stock headpipes. From what I've read I know the packing is trash and will have to be redone, and they are kinda loud even then but I think I'm OK with that. Do any of you have experience with using this muffler with stock headers? I'd appreciate any input or experience.

Thanks, roy

Thinking about going with these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/400421952365?lpid=82 on my 77D' using the stock headpipes. From what I've read I know the packing is trash and will have to be redone, and they are kinda loud even then but I think I'm OK with that. Do any of you have experience with using this muffler with stock headers? I'd appreciate any input or experience.
Thanks, roy

Hi Roy,
as with mounting any slip-on to the stock headers, be sure to connect the muffler to the actual inner exhaust pipe, not the chrome one on the outside of it.
OK, it's a lot easier to clamp the muffler onto the outer header.
A spiral wrap of thin sheetmetal slathered up with exhaust pipe cement and shoved into the gap between the inner and outer pipe will work to keep the exhaust gases from getting between the pipes and puffing out of the vent at the header clamp.

Pamcopetes solution for slipping on aftermarket Mufflers.

Extract from a Pamcopete post;
"If your stock headers are double walled, the functional pipe is inside the outer pipe, so if you are going to use the stock headers with an after market muffler, you need an adapter that will connect the muffler to the smaller inner pipe. And, yes...the outer pipes do have drain holes in them, so if you just clamp the muffler to the outer pipe, the exhaust will leak out of the drain holes.

Here is a pic of the inner pipe:

inner.jpg

The outer pipe may also leak at the head flange as well. The outer pipes were not designed to flow any exhaust, so there is no guarantee that they are gas tight from end to end.

I used this adapter on my '81/H:
adapter.jpg

This is a 1 1/2 X 1 3/8" adapter available at most auto supply stores, #548520. The small end will fit tightly around the outside of the inner pipe. Clamp the muffler around the large end. There is no way to clamp the small end around the inner pipe, but it fits real tight, so you can either wait for the carbon buildup to seal it or apply some Permatex muffler sealer.

The small end is completely hidden inside the header, the big end is completely hidden inside the muffler."

muffler2.jpg

This is what it looks like when installed.

muffler.jpg

you want the ones with the removable inner baffle tube, go to WalMart and find a couple packages of stainless steel pot scrubbers (two or three in a pack) stretch them out and wrap them in a spiral around the baffle tube use light gauge wire to hold in place 3 per side sounded good to me, you can tune for the sound you want, some back pressure is good, the stainless steel won't rust

I have Dunstall's on my T140 Triumph. They sound good but blow out the fiberglass packing as soon as I hit the highway. I used some SS scubbers like JL. But I pushed them in as the baffle was installed a bit at a time. I've had these on the Triumph since the 80's! You can knock out the center plate in the perforated tube to make them true straight through mufflers but I suppose they will bellow a bit.

Tom

Back