sweatybetty89

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so i get the bike up to speed about 3rd or 4th gear and when down shifting i loose power and the bike dies. It is short and abrupt. almost like a clogged carb issue. i took them off to clean them and there was some gunk in them i recently cleaned out my tank and there was a lot of crud in it. after cleaning the carb its still doing it. could the clutch be to blame???

A few years ago I came upon a young man who only wanted $100 for a titled and running 650 Suzuki Boulevard. I've never owned a thumper but have long wanted one. When I got there he showed me how the bike only ran a minute or so before cutting off. I knew it couldn't be must and I almost bought it, but then I said, "Take the gas cap off and give it a try."

Problem solved... well except that he didn't want to give it up so cheaply.

It might be a stopped up vent in the gas tank or trash in the tank, petcock, fuel filter, carbs, etc. There is a slight chance it might be electrical, perhaps a coil heating up and shutting down, but it is definitely not the clutch.

Some days I'm not as much of an ass as most.

A few years ago I came upon a young man who only wanted $100 for a titled and running 650 Suzuki Boulevard. I've never owned a thumper but have long wanted one. When I got there he showed me how the bike only ran a minute or so before cutting off. I knew it couldn't be must and I almost bought it, but then I said, "Take the gas cap off and give it a try."

Problem solved... well except that he didn't want to give it up so cheaply.

It might be a stopped up vent in the gas tank or trash in the tank, petcock, fuel filter, carbs, etc. There is a slight chance it might be electrical, perhaps a coil heating up and shutting down, but it is definitely not the clutch.

Some days I'm not as much of an ass as most.
I did hear it sucking air out of though the gas cap so vapor lock could be a issue but its been doing it even after taking the gas cap off

So went and look a lil closer at my carbs today and find that they are not the same carbs at all. I guess they sent me a vm 34 180 main jet and a vm 32 140 main. I believe this very well may have some thing to do with the poor performance of my bike

So went and look a lil closer at my carbs today and find that they are not the same carbs at all. I guess they sent me a vm 34 180 main jet and a vm 32 140 main. I believe this very well may have some thing to do with the poor performance of my bike
That would certainly affect the performance but it wouldn't cause stalling.

Well got the new carb put on and it is running like shit. It's not dying but it is running like shit. It starts to bog out when I start to reach my rpms at my shift point. Idles fine. Starts jetting?

Well got the new carb put on and it is running like shit. It's not dying but it is running like shit. It starts to bog out when I start to reach my rpms at my shift point. Idles fine. Starts jetting?
Crank your engine and place your hands directly behind the exhaust pipes (do not touch them) which one is hotter? The hotter pipe is the better side. Check the carb on the cooler side for trash, gunk, etc.

And yes, both carbs need to be jetted the same and have the same needle settings.

Back