Electrical: Square One

Wolfefinder_General

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so I apologize if this is redundant or misplaced! Anyway, I very recently purchased an '83 XS650 Heritage Special. It's my first bike so I'm excited, fortunately, to dive in and really get to know this thing. It's currently quite a mess. To the point(s) :wink2: ! The previous owner wired this thing up himself and it's horrendous in form and function. I'm tearing everything out and rewiring the thing myself. Considering the bike has already been stripped down a bit I'm going with the chopper circuit. I've done quite a bit of research about the component/system relationships and looked at a number of wiring diagrams and feel fairly comfortable theoretically. As far as physically executing a rewiring I'm, outside of installing a pamco e. ignition on a '73 CB350F, a COMPLETE novice. So, I'm employing anyone gracious enough to offer up their elementary, essential do's and don'ts (especially) of wiring. Nothing is too simple! Thanks guys!

Since you want to replace all the wiring that's there, the easiest route might be to get a new harness from Mike's. There are plenty of color coded diagrams around and I assume Mike's color coding is right. That's your easy alternative to lots of head scratching and debugging and crimping connectors on.

Note I'm assuming his color coding is right.

I would add that in the harness every connector is different, so that it's virtually impossible to hook it up wrong (color coding becoming irrelevant). The only exception I can think of is the few single bullet connectors which go to the turn signals.

Last edited:
Back