Eliminating electonics on the handlebars

69mach351

Resident Newbie
Reaction score
Good morning. I have an '80 Special II and I am wanting to eliminate the electronics from the handlebars (leaving the throttle, brake lever, MC, I am assuming the brake light switch, and clutch - I will be getting a new lever set for this). One thing I have been trying to figure out, is how to run the throttle cable without the electronic box covering it up.

Would a set-up like this work? The first is one I like, but not in stock. The second is in stock.

http://www.monstercraftsman.com/7-8-throttle-assembly-with-vintage-style-grips-black/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage...ini-Bike-/291090616230?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I will likely be eliminating turn signals. I will probably keep the start button and relocate it. My kill switch is froze solid on "run" so I a not sure if I need that or I should just continue to use the key.

Good morning. I have an '80 Special II and I am wanting to eliminate the electronics from the handlebars (leaving the throttle, brake lever, MC, I am assuming the brake light switch, and clutch - I will be getting a new lever set for this). One thing I have been trying to figure out, is how to run the throttle cable without the electronic box covering it up.

Would a set-up like this work? The first is one I like, but not in stock. The second is in stock.

http://www.monstercraftsman.com/7-8-throttle-assembly-with-vintage-style-grips-black/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Vintage...ini-Bike-/291090616230?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I will likely be eliminating turn signals. I will probably keep the start button and relocate it. My kill switch is froze solid on "run" so I a not sure if I need that or I should just continue to use the key.

Kill switch elimination??.........................its depends on your viewpoint on safety.

I see safety as either black or white. Either you believe safety is important or you don't. If you are pro safety then yes you want to keep a kill switch. It follows that you also want to keep turn signals, always wear a helmet, have the best front brake you can, etc.

If safety is unimportant to you, then dump the kill switch, turn signals, and other things that clutter up that "clean" look you are going for.

I rewired my whole xs to basic wiring and put a drum on the front (I have an '80). You can ditch the original throttle and get an aftermarket one for $20 (check ebay). I put my kill switch under the seat on the right so I can grab the clutch.

Last edited:
I rewired my whole xs to basic wiring and put a drum on the front (an '80). You can ditch the original throttle and get an aftermarket one for $20 (check ebay). I put my kill switch under the seat on the right so I can grab the clutch.

Can you post a link to a throttle that would work? Assuming that the one I posted would, I would use it, but wouldn't mind finding something better. Maybe I am searching wrong ( "Vintage motorcycle throttle" ).

Kill switch elimination??.........................its depends on your viewpoint on safety.

I see safety as either black or white. Either you believe safety is important or you don't. If you are pro safety then yes you want to keep a kill switch. It follows that you also want to keep turn signals, always wear a helmet, have the best front brake you can, etc.

If safety is unimportant to you, then dump the kill switch, turn signals, and other things that clutter up that "clean" look you are going for.

Believe me, I do believe in safety. I am probably one of the more cautious riders out there. Nothing about it is black and white though.

I probably should have said relocate the kill switch. The one on my bars now doesn't work (appears to be froze on the "run position" ). I have only rode the bike twice down the block as I do not believe it is safe enough to ride the way it is now, but have to shut it down with the key.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161120910744?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
i used this one here its the same as your first link but cheaper haha and it works with stock thottle cable. i got rid of my switches and installed toggle switches on my neck gausets. on/off more my kill switch and on/off/on for my headlight and i have my ignition switch where my horn used to be idk if its the safest my i can kill my bike pretty quickly if need be.

You have to realize, if you move the kill switch to any location other than next to the handlebar grip, it no longer functions as a "safety" kill switch. The whole idea is having the ability to instantly kill the engine, while both hands remain on the handlebars, in order to steer and avoid solid objects, such as cars/trucks/animals/trees etc.

If you put the kill switch under the seat, or on frame gussets, its no longer a "safety" kill switch, its just another shut-off switch similar to the ignition. Don't fool yourself, thinking you can take the time to fumble for a kill switch and steer with one hand.

If you plan to move the kill switch away from the handlebars, you might as well just eliminate the kill switch completely.

Those cheaper throttles are kind of crap. Not really that smooth. They're not much different than an old school mini bike throttle.

I'm not sure how the Biltwell whiskey throttle is, but they're $100 and may be smoother than the chinese throttles that are out there

As for a kill switch, you can use a momentary switch near your grip that is small and rather easy to hide, yet be easy to hit to shut down the engine.

I don't knew if it's the look you are going for, but I was able to keep everything on my bars mounted using micro toggles and momentary switches. You can check out my pics and see it on there. Kill and start on right. Turns and horn on the left. Headlight high/low/off in the middle.

The switches are from the source (radio shack for you guys) the part numbers might be in one of my threads. If not, I will look for them tomorrow. The plate is just 7/8 or 1" pipe cut and drilled and tapped in with small flush mount machine screws.

Hi Gent,
nah, motorcycle safety is 50 shades of grey.
If you wanted pure white safety you wouldn't ride at all, you'd have that car with 10 airbags in it.
And while you do need ATGATT and all the rest of it, the only time I've ever had to use a killswitch was to turn it back on after some safety minded interfering arsehole had turned it off in a carpark.

Hi Gent,
nah, motorcycle safety is 50 shades of grey.
If you wanted pure white safety you wouldn't ride at all, you'd have that car with 10 airbags in it.
And while you do need ATGATT and all the rest of it, the only time I've ever had to use a killswitch was to turn it back on after some safety minded interfering arsehole had turned it off in a carpark.

I stand by what I said. We can agree to disagree.

Back