Eliminating key

BenVoiles

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I'm currently resurrecting my XS650. It was buried in my barn since the tornadoes of 2011.
One problem is I lost the keys. I don't really care since I would like to eliminate the keyed ignition switch and
have switches like on a race bike. Has anybody here done that?
Would also like to know if any of the electronics can be eliminated.
I do plan on replacing the points with electronic ignition.
I've owned this bike since about 1985 and it has had extensive modifications but I plan
on doing more, mostly cosmetic. Making it look more like a cafe racer.

Got rid of the iggy have a water proof toggle hidden near the rear fender.
Been that way for years.
Bonus gets rid of several feet of voltage robbing wires!

More details please.
toggle1.png

1682177237307.png

That's the basic idea.......questions??

Note the red wire from the regulator to the battery remains connected, is fused but not disconnected by turning the key off.

The actual wiring modification needed depends on the yr model and also how much modification you want to do to the stock wiring. The pics I provided above are just an example and happen to include an aftermarket fuse box that uses blade ATC fuses - good opportunity to replace the OEM box if you're gonna go toggle.

Here's an example - using stock '78 wiring - that shows the actual existing scheme. A toggle can actually be located at points A,B, or C depending on your preference - each location can require other modifications. Point A could be used with the existing fuse box or aftermarket box and would require a jumper from red to brown at point C (existing key switch connector). If using the aftermarket box I pic'd, one of the circuits in the new box would be 20A and continue the existing red wire that goes to the rectifier. Point B & C can be used for a toggle too with the stock fuse box, but don't lend themselves to most aftermarket boxes. The points discussed are points in the harness, not necessarily physical location; any physical location is achieved with additional wire. Lots of ways to do it...............
78_XS650SE TOGGLE1.jpg.png

Yes sir; keep or change as much as you want...

Maybe consider two switches, one in a hard-to-find place, and one in a convenient place. Both switches would have to be ON to start and run the bike, but the hard-to-find switch could be turned OFF when parking in certain questionable places.

Scott

Back