Engine sound after rebuild (with video)

system9

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just put my engine back together after replacing the timing chain and piston rings. I also put on new gaskets, cleaned things up a bit.
So, I'm wondering if this is what the engine is supposed to sound like? I realize I probably have never really listened to it turning over with the pipes off, no carbs and no plugs. It makes some loud clunk/click noise, but could be normal?

Did the chain tension first, then the valves. Although I did some chain tension adjustments after, to see if it made any difference to the noise. It didn't.

I went out and started sticking my fingers in there. The noise is coming from the rocker arm on the exhaust port side exactly as the crank passes TDC. So, is this the follower hitting the rocker arm?

Last edited:
The rocker's contact pad or follower is that part that rides on the cam lobe:

11.jpg

If that pad doesn't have a smooth, convex surface, and/or if there's wear damage on a cam lobe, the motion of the valve can be irregular, and make knocking sounds...

did you check the squish ? just a possibility

Stick a length of 8 or 10 guage solder into the spark plug holes and make sure that it reaches right to the edge of the piston crowns then turn your engine over a few times and check the solder with a micrometer .

SO, I got the sound to go away. Completely.
It was the valve clearance settings. For some reason, if I set the gap when the crank is at TDC, the bike makes the loud noise. If I crank the bike past TDC and set the valves, the noise goes away. What does this mean?

first of all I would not trust your TDC marks but check your TDC yourself.

How are you setting your valve lash ? You should be adjusting only the valves on the cylinder that is at TDC on its compression stoke. Then to adjust the valves on the other cylinder you should then turn the crank until the piston is at TDC on its compression stroke .

TDC is good. It matches perfectly with the pistons. I believe I had accidently set one set of the valves on the exhaust stroke. I re-adjusted them all, and engine noise is gone, everything was set at TDC, I think its all good. Thank you.

Back