Enricher question

Photo_dude

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Fairly new to the bike game, I just recently picked up a 1981 XS650 with bs-34 carbs and Pod filters. I don’t really know what size jets are in there but I took the carbs apart and cleaned them out using the carb guide on this site.

The bike is running decently but I notice it seems to sound best with the enricher at about halfway between open and closed. the Idle speed is a little high and i fear its running a little hot. This appears to all point to a lean condition, is that correct?

So under that assumption it would seem like when I keep the enricher out (the only way it likes to start) that would richen the mix. However in reality it idles even higher with the enricher completely in the out position and sounds lean. When it is pushed all the way in it sputters as if it is too rich. Does that sound like the exact opposite of what it should be doing? Or do I just have it backwards? If I do have it backwards why would it only start in a lean condition?

Sorry if this is super obvious, any insight would be much appreciated.

Best,

Last edited:
Had the chance to read the jet sizes while the carbs were apart. Quite critical when trying to diagnose conditions. Could be air leaks ........could be holes in the diaphragms.........might pay take the carbs off and check the diaphragms for holes and get the jet sizes. won't hurt to check for dirt getting back into them as well..........Do you have an inline filter between the Tank and carbs

Thanks for the response.

Yeah, that was an oversight, first time taking the carbs apart, I was just happy to clear some gunk out, didn't record any important info. Probably need to take carbs off again and get jet sizes/inspect diaphragms. I do have a inline filter between the tank and carb, it appears to be pretty clear.

I am also just trying to learn how to listen to the engine, I assumed it would be hollow and high idling if it was lean condition and opposite for rich but sounds like it's not exactly that simple. Still have tons to learn.

Didn't read the first post fully........Pod filters!!.......these can be problematic if they are the small cone type. They can block off the venture on the bell for the slides to lift. These little devils can cause all sorts of problems.............the pleated skirts on the pods don't give an even air flow and that can also disrupt the slide movement,

post up some pics. some overall of the bike and any specific close ups.

Open up your carbs and see what you have for jets. Will be stamped at the screw slot. Check to see what is stock on your carbs which is listed in the carb guide. Search on what jetting most have been doing with same style intake and exhaust you are running. This will give you an idea what you have in there (stock or 1 up or 2 up...whatever). You need to see what the baseline is first and work from there on what you have.

Pleated pods suck and have caused me problems. Get some UNI filters or foam type filters. From what I have read the pleated pods cause restrictions to the outside jets on the carb mouth. They also cause air turbulence and make the slides flutter and not run smoothly. That's not good. Save you some grief now and replace.

Is it really that hard to say "individual filters"?
in any case "That's got CV's? Take a #2 phillips screwdriver, heat the tip with a torch until cherry red and plunge it into your eye. It will hurt less. Really."-
Get real carbs or find, rebuild the airbox. Yes I know what I'm talking about. No there really isn't a way to get the CV carbs to work with "pods".
Yes I'm a pain in the ass. You can do what ever you want but in the end I'm right. I'm really just trying to save you pain and suffering. Now several will post that their CV's with pods run just fine. Yeah right....
Heating the screwdriver as I type (saving you the trouble) ...

I've run nothing but pods on my '78 ever since I got it about a dozen years ago. I started out with genuine K&Ns but there were issues. When the problems caused by a K&N pleated style filter came to light, I switched to UNI foam pods and things have been good ever since. I do think you can properly tune these CV carbs with pods if the proper type of pod is used (straight foam). If you have K&N style pleated pods, I'll hold the screwdriver while Kop heats it, lol.

The BS34 carbs were highly E.P.A. mandated and were borderline too lean right from the factory on a totally stock machine. Any little change you make to the intake and/or exhaust can throw them off. I'm dealing with this now on my new-to-me '83. I thought it was totally 100% stock but I don't think so anymore. I think the P.O. drilled extra holes in the ends of the mufflers .....

fdpwlZm.jpg

It doesn't start as easily as my '78 and seems to be running a bit hot. It carburates OK with no flat spots or break-up, but I think it's too lean. I think just those few extra hole in the muffler ends have pushed it into the "too lean" territory. It still has stock jetting and the factory airboxes. I know many say the airboxes are best but honestly, I'm not seeing it, yet anyway. It runs no better than my pod equipped '78 as far as I can tell. Maybe it will once I tweak the jetting some, we'll see. Personally, I feel like grabbing that heated screwdriver any time I have to deal with those factory airboxes, lol. They're an absolute royal pain to install and everything is crammed in tight all around them. I did want to try a 650 with the airboxes because I never have, but these may not last too long on this bike. I already have the pods sitting on the shelf, lol.

Back