Exhaust tubing material question?

It's mostly for doing the headers, I'm putting cocktails at the ends... and i'm not planning doing them really long, even the shortess I can and I don't have a bender, i wanna make the shapes with angled cuts, i'll wrap them anyway..

The thick wall will be harder to work with but the thing with the 1 3/4 pipe is it's to big. 1 1/2 inch pipe will perform better.
Making the bends with pie cuts is very labor intensive. You can get exhaust tubing with bends already in them. 45, 90, and 180 degree bends in several bend radius.
Leo

on the plus side, a thicker wall is more forgiving when welding back to gether, depending on your weld skill.
Also, if you plan on the pie-cut route, the metal will move around and shrink as you weld it back together. take that into consideration.
Agreed., 1 and 3/4 is too big.

Ok! I'll check for 16 gauge tubing! I know 1 1/2 will perform better, but I don't want to make 2 exhaust set if I ouverhaul the engine next winter, so I'll turn myself a torq cone set to compensate a bit. I also have to run baffles, because here in our loving Quebec a new law is coming for this summer that we have to run at 89db or less! I tought maybe a thicker material will absorb a little bit of db maybe!!

Here is what Gary Hoos is using on the SS pipes
IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0700.jpg

That's 304 stainless. Even better. BTW, it may be a chore to get stock exhaust under 89 Db, depending on the methodology, so I don't think I would go ape shit on building an exhaust yet. Do you know how they are going to test?

Cops with sonometers!! This law is a pilot project which will be tested on motorcycles this summer and if the government sees that it is paying they are going to incorporate the other vehicle types next year!

Cop's gonna stay near H-D dealers!

Back