Expert advise!!

I went back and read the beginning problem, blowing fuses. Do have fuse box or inline fuses? I think we need to go back to this area and do some more checking all those connections and ground wire to battery.

Getting back to your problem and carb cleaning and assembly of the float bowls on the BS34 carbs. The pilot circuit is fed from the orifice and passageway which can be blocked by the gasket. Pictures of what you are working on would help.

On your TCI, it uses a magnet embedded it the alternators rotor to get a signal for engine position. It gets this signal when the magnet passes the pick ups mounted on the stator.
The TCI uses this signal to know when to spark.
As these magnets age they get weak. If your charging system is working well the magnetic field of the rotor can cover up the magnets effect. This makes it hard for the pick ups to read the magnet.
Unplugging the reg/rec wires will disable the alternator rotors magnetic field. This lets the pick ups read the magnet better. This is the way to test for a weak magnet. Fixing the weak magnet is an easy fix. Go online to Radio Shack and look for item # 64-1895. This is a package of two rare earth magnets. 3/16 inch, 4 mm diameter in size. $2.99. Just "glue" one of these magnets on top of the one in your rotor. Use any good epoxy glue to do this. I like JB Weld.
Also if your battery is not fully charged the TCI won't function well. Fully charge your battery with a motorcycle charger, car chargers will fry a bike battery.
I have an 81, when I first got it the charging system was charging but would not keep the battery fully charged. This allowed the battery to discharge as I was riding. As the voltage dropped the TCI would start to malfunction, it would start to loose power, miss, not take throttle.
I then tested and repaired the charging system. This fixed the running issues.
Leo

Well, I got it running, I took the carbs apart again, the little hole at the end of the pilot jets were clogged, I guess I forgot those. I guess I will be returning the TCI. It is running, idles rough and surges, but I did take it up and down the street a few times OK what next fine tuning??? What is that and how do I do it? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

Well, I got it running, I took the carbs apart again, the little hole at the end of the pilot jets were clogged, I guess I forgot those. I guess I will be returning the TCI. It is running, idles rough and surges, but I did take it up and down the street a few times OK what next fine tuning??? What is that and how do I do it? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!!

gggGary was spot on in the 2nd post. You would have saved yourself a fair bit of mucking around if you'd checked the pilot circuit as he suggested (this is not a criticism, but its an important lesson to learn, and one I've learned myself. These guys have been doing it for years, they know what they're talking about, and a lot can be learned from what they share. Do yourself a favour and take it in, many would pay for the advice they willingly offer). My suggestion would be for you to read the tech section. I'm no expert either and I started with very little knowledge, and I'm still learning, the tech section has helped me immensely.

Enjoy the build and enjoy learning about these amazing machines! :thumbsup:

Hey everyone, I think I am going to replace the earth magnet on my rotor with one from radio shack, one question, it seems the the space about the factory magnet it pretty small, will the magnets from radio shack fit if I glue it on top of the old one, and the rotor will spin ok? Will these work, has anyone used these with success?

Back