Finally got my XS650 running! Ran into another problem, need advice

Mr_Dunev

The New Guy
Reaction score
So a while back I fried some electronics trying to jump my XS650 over and over again.
It wouldn't run for more than a few seconds at a time.

e7eebd34-31a4-4bb6-86bc-684747474a3c_zps4d7009d0.jpg

I cleaned the carbs, checked and cleaned my spark plugs, and cleaned my grounds.

I finally got the bike running smooth(ish). Here is a quick video, sorry for the poor quality and for showing my long johns :eek:

The next night I lubed my clutch cable, and was getting ready to take it around the block.
So I turned her on like the night before, and she started on the first kick :thumbsup:

I let it warm up for a few minutes, and then I gave it some gas to hear her roar, and she died. I turned her back on let her run a few more minutes, and again SLOWLY opened the throttle, and again she sputtered and died.

I tried it one more time, and each time i opened the throttle slightly it started to sputter.

I think it also ran worse with the choke on. I tried for a 4th time to see if there was anything else I could change, or maybe try and let it warm up for longer before attempting to give it some gas. However I couldn't start the bike for the life of me!

I tried for about 20 minutes and had to finally give up since the bikes kickstarter has a MEAN kick back. Not always but a lot of the time.

Checked the plugs, they were sliiightly wet, but not drenched by any means. I am thinking I was flooding the engine, but this is my first time doing this so I'm not sure.

I must have missed or messed something up when I cleaned the carbs, so I am going to take them off and try again.

So any ideas? and how about fixing the kickback on the kickstarter? None of my other bikes try to attack me when i turn them on.

Thanks,
L

I guess if it's kicking you, the timing isn't dead nuts on. I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in. I'm just not at that stage of misery yet. Lol.

Look in the "Tech" section and find the Carb Guide. The mixture screw position depends on which carbs you have on your bike. The carbs changed every 2 years. The carb guide tells you where to set the mixture screw.

When the engine will not respond to the throttle, it quite often means the pilot circuit is blocked..................pilot jet/ mixture screw/passage ways.

Back