First Pass at a Solution for the Missing Side Covers

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I checked on line and the covers ARE available, used. For $200. Per side. :yikes: Needless to say, the CFO at Cheap Charlie's Motorcycle Emporium ain't gonna go for that. If it was for a rare and valuable bike, sure. For a mass-produced Honda? Nuh-uh.

So, I came up with an idea in rough form:

panel1.jpg

The originals popped into rubber grommets with a stud. I sketched this up in TinkerCAD and printed out a sample and it seems to A) fit and B) be rugged enough, so I printed a handful of them.

panel2.jpg

Then I drilled them so they can be screwed to the back of the replacement panel. Got to play with my mill a little for the first time in months.

panel3.jpg

Here's one popped into the grommet on the bike. A little Vaseline helped with insertion. (STOP it! :laugh: )

panel4.jpg

I screwed a pair of them to a piece of light tin. I started with CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) and transferred that to a piece of flashing and then touched up the flashing on the belt sander to fit reasonably well.

panel5.jpg

And here's the rough panel popped into the mounts. The trial panel is mostly 2D and the finished panel will need some 3D adjustments to look decent, along with more accurate trimming around the edges and a bottom mounting grommet tacked onto the frame.

So, all this is primarily proof of concept, but I'm pleased enough with the results to pursue it using a nice piece of aluminum.

That’s pretty cool DE! I can’t wait to see the end product. My modern Suzuki has a bunch of those little stud into grommet connections on various panels. Very inventive solution you came up with! 😉

When you don't have a lathe, a mill or a 3D printer...
DE, I faced a similar situation while I was figuring out how to mount Standard XS650 side covers on an 81 Special. The Specials have those rubber grommets into which a mini buttplug plug fits. The Standard side cover lines up nicely with the Special lower mount. Here is what I did, you can scale it up or down easily. The picture shows the lower mount bullet of a Special sidecover and a nut/bolt combination that I formed on grinder and sanding disc, after and before.
1702245577041.png

Back