Fried boyer coil

tonyc

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I fried my Boyer coil but I replaced it with a better GM coil from Mr Riggs' $19 ignition system. Here are a few picts. Thanks TC

Attachments

• P5090019.jpg
    P5090019.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 192
  • P5090016_2.jpg
    P5090016_2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 187
tonyc, I have a fried boyer 0.6 ohm coil too. I was considering getting the GM coil since its cheaper and available immediately in my area. I have a couple questions for you.

The two input connectors for that coil look like female push in connectors. Did you just hook up a flat male crimp on wire connector on your existing coil power and ground wires? Something like this:
432705_492705_tab.jpg

Did you need to buy anything other than the just the coil itself? I see an aftermarket MSD ignition that comes with a "coil interface module". It looks like it just plugs into the bottom of the coil and gives you wire leads out but I dont know if it does anything more than that. In your setup, was the coil a direct drop in replacement (ignoring mounting of course)?

Thanks.

Nezzer those connectors will not be long enough. You will have to get the original coil plug or make copper strips and then use your connectors. Please read the article by Mr. Riggs XS-650 Garage. It is under $19 ignition. He explains how he and myself mounted and connected the coil. I just followed his instructions to the letter. Mr. Riggs along with Pamco Pete are the last word in electrics. Good luck. PS after reading if you still have questions please ask me. Tony C

Back