front fork ID

Superdriver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello. Can anyone ID theses forks. i was told that they might be from a Virago. They are on my 1978 XS 650 SE I am having a problem finding a front fender for it. The XS fenders I have looked at do not fit as the mounting holes are not wide enough apart. There is a 2 1/2 inch spacing between the bolt hole centers and the stock bolts (97013-08020) don't fit in the holes in the fenders as they are too big. Also, Does anyone know who made the forks for Yamaha in the 70/80s. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Bill

Attachments

• forks 1.jpg
    forks 1.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 70
  • forks 2.jpg
    forks 2.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 67
  • forks 3.jpg
    forks 3.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 65
  • front forks 4.jpg
    front forks 4.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Just a guess: as they appear to have Yamaha Mag bolted-up (17mm axle), they could be forks used on various Suzuki and Honda models circa late '70's and also on Yamaha '77 XS750, '76 XS500
yamaha-xs750-1977-usa-canada-front-fork-xs750d_bigyau0734e-11_c169.gif

If so, they had an unusual top cap held in by circlip rather than threaded into upper tube.

Last edited:
The XS650 has KYB forks. The XS1100 of similar vintage has KYB on the standard models and Showa on the Specials. That’s the limit of my knowledge of Yamaha suspension manufacturers.

Knowing the tube diameter would help with identifying those forks. The triples are not XS650, so they have been changed too. The caliper appears to be 77 onwards XS650, so that indicates that they are from another Yamaha. XS750/850/1100. Maybe 650 or 750 Seca as well. The tubes seem a bit long, that sort of hints to 750 Seca.

Ooops. Seca 750 has leading axle forks. So no cigar....Seca 650 has those same calipers, and 36 mm tubes. But different triples.

Knowing the tube diameter would help with identifying those forks. The triples are not XS650, so they have been changed too. The caliper appears to be 77 onwards XS650, so that indicates that they are from another Yamaha. XS750/850/1100. Maybe 650 or 750 Seca as well. The tubes seem a bit long, that sort of hints to 750 Seca.
Hi. If I am getting the measurement correct, the diameter is around 1.5 inches or 38.1 MM. Yes, the forks definitely appear to be longer. The bike handles really well and feels very stable. Thanks and take care. Bill

Thats great Thanks. The top caps actually have an air intake connection
I think those air valves are an "add-on" modification (an '80's thing). The original caps do appear to be the circlip type. 38mm jibes with the specs for a XS750D (and other bikes too)

I haven't put air in them yet. the suspension is great just the way it is.
Even if you do put air in them, you'll end up wishing you didn't bother, especially if you like it as-is.
I put a set of air-adjust forks onto my GS, and ended up converting them to fully manual, as it was such a PITA keeping the air topped up.
When they were working, they worked well and I quite liked it, but on balance I was glad to see the back of the hassle.

Even if you do put air in them, you'll end up wishing you didn't bother, especially if you like it as-is.
I put a set of air-adjust forks onto my GS, and ended up converting them to fully manual, as it was such a PITA keeping the air topped up.
When they were working, they worked well and I quite liked it, but on balance I was glad to see the back of the hassle.
Yes I agree. I also had a air kit put on my DT 250 in the 70s and it was OK but nothing to tell the world about LOL. Take care.Bill

Back