Front Forks - Ring Clips

rodemyyamaha

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey... rebuilding my front forks. Looks like someone had put a couple of long spacers inside and it caused the ring clips to break.
Any idea where I can get the ring clips that are inside the forks? I have a pic of one included but the larger one that goes inside the fork tube is messed up too.

Any ideas where I can get these clips?

http://rodemyyamaha.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/IMG_0902.jpg

The larger one inside the fork

http://rodemyyamaha.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/IMG_09031.jpg

Check out mhy build.... www.rodemyyamaha.com

Have been side tracked for a few months but now back on the project.

In my Factory and Clymer manuals the only washer I see has a dipped in center, no holes on the edge and sets on top of the spring. The dipped in center goes into the top of the spring.The spacer sets on top of the spring.
Do you have a Clymer manual? On page 126 there is a very clear breakdown of the 73-76 forks.
I have a set of forks off my 75. I haven't taken them apart. As I remember from taking one of the fork caps off and looking down inside the spacer was about 2.5 - 3 inches long. They used a long spacer and a short spring.
The 75 forks used a spring 15.57 inches long. The later forks used a spring 18.89 inches long. with the forks overall length the same the short spring needs a long spacer.
In your pics you linked, I have never seen a threaded rod like in the pic inside of the forks I've tore down. As far as the clip, you might take the part that the clip goes on to the parts store and find a clip that fits.
In the pic with the clip you have a bushing. Does this fit around the damper rod? If so you might take that part to the parts store or a hardware store and find on to replace it. At Lowe's they have a large assortment of steel, brass and nylon bushimgs. If you can find one close and modify it to fit it may work.
In the pic showing down into the top of the upper fork tube, I'm not sure what you are asking about. The top cap threads down in the top of the tube.
In the parts break down, the other clip they show is the one that holds the seal in place. The seal fits into the top of the lower tube, a washer then the clip.
If any of the ways I mentioned to find parts don't work out, getting a different set of forks may be your next option.

Last edited:
I found a schematic @ bikebandit.com of your forks.. It wont let me post a good pic, and the link isnt working right..

If you can find what you need, you can order just that part directly from them if you would prefer to have OEM. Most of the little clips and seals arent more than 5-6 bucks..

Goto bikebandit.com, Click on OEM Parts, find your bike, the exploded view of the fork is under suspension.

Back