Fuel line and filter placement

Torchard

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know there are many variations on the theme of fuel line routing here but I can’t quite see my set up in the various responses and pix: I guess this thing originally (‘78 Special/Canadian/BS34) was fed fuel via two petcocks. The fuel inlets are outboard on either side. I now have one petcock and wish to connect via a tee. It’s a tight fit and the fuel line is bulky. Is it ok to tuck the tee and filter between the carbs and below the floats? Any other advice to ensure good flow to each, given the unequal distance from the petcock? Thanks.

If your trying to use the 1/4 inch black automotive hose your going to have fitment problems. It's just too bulky in many situations. You need something motorcycle specific. Stay away from that pretty blue coiled stuff. It's stiffer than a wedding night... Anyway, find something like Tygon fuel line, ID 3/16 OD 5/16.
Most of it you find will be yeller in color.
Thu

Plus 1 on the Tygon! :thumbsup:

DD66B43D-7344-48CA-B265-B262D006E539.jpeg

It has a nice stretchy quality that doesn’t kink and it’s easy to take on and off without affecting it. It is so elastic and grips so well that I don’t even use hose clamps. 2M gave me a hot tip once, to help slide the hose over fittings, dip a toothpick in oil and apply a thin coating to the inside of the fuel line.

If your trying to use the 1/4 inch black automotive hose your going to have fitment problems. It's just too bulky in many situations. You need something motorcycle specific. Stay away from that pretty blue coiled stuff. It's stiffer than a wedding night... Anyway, find something like Tygon fuel line, ID 3/16 OD 5/16.
Thu
Where are you finding it?

Amazon. Like $15 bucks for 5 foot.
Mailman may have the better deal, but close. :)

View attachment 197517

It has a nice stretchy quality that doesn’t kink and it’s easy to take on and off without affecting it. It is so elastic and grips so well that I don’t even use hose clamps. 2M gave me a hot tip once, to help slide the hose over fittings, dip a toothpick in oil and apply a thin coating to the inside of the fuel line.

View attachment 197517

Btw My carbs have the fuel inlets on the outer side, not in between as is typically seen. On mine, the inlets that you use for fuel are vents, I believe.

Thu
BTW A coil of the blue hose came with the bike. I’ve used it, but it’s gonna be temporary.

Well, you could come off the tank, insert a filter then into a "Y" and to the outside of each carb? Yes?
What year did you say this was? Some years had take offs to run the vacuum operated petcocks. That would be a trick hooking the fuel tank to one of those! :laugh:

Well, you could come off the tank, insert a filter then into a "Y" and to the outside of each carb? Yes?
Yes ... that’s where I began with my question. Coming off to a filter, then a Y. But space is tight so I asked if it’s ok to have filter located below float bowl level. Thanks.

What year did you say this was? Some years had take offs to run the vacuum operated petcocks. That would be a trick hooking the fuel tank to one of those! :laugh:
Umm, maybe I did . I’ll post a pic.

AFDB0891-97FF-489B-8040-D68B15E19B99.jpeg 642E1649-BD30-483D-B581-0015D1ADA13F.jpeg 4EEEFFAA-8C0B-4771-BC1D-8A04F5DE6702.jpeg F3F2D7CD-CD18-41AA-AEEF-051CA660683D.jpeg 2628435D-6606-433E-B7C5-53BF3B896BBA.jpeg [QUOTE="thuban, post: 708615, member: 30487"AFDB0891-97FF-489B-8040-D68B15E19B99.jpeg 642E1649-BD30-483D-B581-0015D1ADA13F.jpeg 4EEEFFAA-8C0B-4771-BC1D-8A04F5DE6702.jpeg F3F2D7CD-CD18-41AA-AEEF-051CA660683D.jpeg ]Well, you could come off the tank, insert a filter then into a "Y" and to the outside of each carb? Yes?
What year did you say this was? Some years had take offs to run the vacuum operated petcocks. That would be a trick hooking the fuel tank to one of those! :laugh:[/QUOTE]

So am I connected to the vacuum barbs on the outside rather than the fuel inlets on the inside? In my defence, this bike came in a couple boxes.

I love you ,No shit! But a few of those fuel lines are hooked up to the vaccum ports on the carb mounts! The stubs in front of the carbs need to be plugged! Don't turn the fuel on! you'll flood the cylinders.

Oh, no, it's fine! :laugh: All of us mess up some time. Some of us are lucky enough to catch it but I see your luck is like mine and you eat crow! But it's all good! :poke:

Just run the single out of the filter to the "T" between the carbs. Cap off the Vac ports. If you have had the fuel on , pull the plugs and kick it over to make sure a cylinder/s is not full of fuel.
You can block off one of the inlets on one of the carbs. It will feed over .

Last edited:
Oh, no, it's fine! :laugh: All of us mess up some time. Some of us are lucky enough to catch it but I see your luck is like mine and you eat crow! But it's all good! :poke:

Just run the single out of the filter to the "T" between the carbs. Cap off the Vac ports. If you have had the fuel on , pull the plugs and kick it over to make sure a cylinder/s is not full of fuel.
You can block off one of the inlets on one of the carbs. It will feed over .
Always happy to be the entertainment. ;). So the fuel inlets are those stubs on either side of the balance hose, yes? And I I run a hose from vacuums inlet to vacuum inlet will that cancel it out? What’s the best method to stub them? I need a beer!

Back