Fuel Filters

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, so I got the new throttle shaft seals installed, carbs all cleaned up, new boots installed (damn, them things are tight...) and everything went pretty well.

I went through those carbs VERY carefully last year, they were as clean as a hound's tooth. The inside of my tank was just as clean. Not a speck of rust, no varnish, just surgically clean and shiny.

When I put the bike together last year, I spent a little time trying to figure out how/where to put in-line fuel filters, but no obvious solution presented itself, so I decided that with a nice clean tank, nice clean carbs and a little care when filling, I'd be okay.

And, basically, I was. However, when I took the carbs apart this time, there was a little crud in the bowl, indicating that in spite of all my precautions, dirt was getting into the system and filters were a very good idea.

I hit my favorite small engine place today, and found the teeny-tinyest filters I could, and bought a couple of feet of good ethanol-rated fuel line.

I am about to lose my fucking mind trying to get everything to fit. Stock air boxes, stock PVC setup with hoses running to the intake side of the air boxes, stock vacuum petcocks. I'd LOVE to get the filters to sit in between the carbs right at the inlet but that makes too many sharp bends in the hose to the petcock and I can't get it on without it kinking.

Has anyone found a way to install in-line fuel filters on a stock bike without it looking like an explosion in a spaghetti factory?

Pix would be nice...

You need a 90 degree fuel filter, it will eliminate one of your bends, and is available at any good independent motorcycle shop. Here's your pic:
90degreefuelfilter.jpg

and a link:
https://www.google.com/search?q=90+...oCYAw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=960&bih=493#imgrc=_

With aftermarket manual petcocks I turned the bs34 carb fuel inlet T facing down, come out of the petcock with about 2 inches of line to the filter, then out of the filter down the outside of the left carb, under and into the T. Makes tank removal a breeze and I can see the filter for debris. Pretty is as pretty does....both bikes.

I run one of those angled filter on my '80 SG. Works great! I used Mike's filter and It was a ill fitting POC.

Thanks, DogBunny, I'll have to get my hands on a pair of them.

I have BS39's with individual vertical inlets, so while the Tee idea would be the most elegant solution, it won't work for me.

'Preciate the input.

Back